Bags of topsoil that don't contain little stones?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Bags of topsoil that don't contain little stones?

Postby Jessyuk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 am

Laraine wrote:I bought 4 x bags from B&Q the other day to give the enclosures a freshen up, and it was brilliant, much better than the levingtons organic I usually get. I think it was £3.49 for a 35 litre bag. I am really impressed with the quality.

Me too, although I only bought the one and I highly recommend getting a trolly first! I wrestled to the til with my bag and didn't think I'd make it to the car :lol:
~ Jess ~
Jessyuk

Postby LindaTrompetto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I am assuming you have cuttlefish strewn around. If not, this might take their mind off the stones.

Linda
LindaTrompetto

Postby kateison » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Cuttlefish is readily available and one of the new torts is behind me as I type this crunching her way through her third one in two weeks. She also eats from the dish of limestone flour several times a day. She was kept in a viv with no UV.

The other new girl was making her own stones! She was kept in a viv and fed t-rex pellets, tomatoes, kale and broccoli. She passed huge, solid lumps for several days, she didn't seem de-hydrated so I imagine they were the result of her high protein diet. She has wee'd for several days now with no sign of urates at all so hopefully she has no more stones or gravel bits left inside her.
Here is a picture of the ones she passed on day 3, she passed one on day 1 and two more on day 4. On day 5 she passed three smaller ones and lots of hard gravely bits

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... dlumps.jpg

They have both lost interest in eating everything they find outside thank goodness. I covered the tiny stones with some of the sifted topsoil, out of sight out of mind LOL

Kate
Kate Ison
kateison

Postby kateison » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Pictures of the new torts, in their indoor pen, surrounded by tiny stones they haven't tried to eat

Cuttlefish muncher on your left is 11 years old, stone producer on your right is just 4 years old!

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... iandp2.jpg

Outside this morning in a corner of their new pen with no stones visible on the soil. Sorry both shots are of their backsides

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... =iandp.jpg
Kate Ison
kateison

Postby Norwegian Hermann » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:47 pm

The bags i get here are marked "Natural" and has no stones but lots of tiny twigs and lumps that can be squashed into soil! :shock:
A bit like a natural peat bog feel to it! I hope this is OK!?

Graham
Norwegian Hermann

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics