Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 am

This particular winter in the UK has killed hundreds of hibernating tortoises. Many, many more will have suffered serious damage from the effects of these very low temperatures. Those in sheds, lofts and outbuildings are most at risk. Obviously, we have worked for the last 25 years now to try to educate and warn keepers about this issue, and have distributed countless thousands of copies (both in print and on line) of our little publication "Safer Hibernation & Your Tortoise":

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/safer.html

Hopefully, keepers who have followed this advice will find their tortoises healthy and safe.

The real problem is those keepers who have not taken proper advice. We know they are still out there and we also know that people right now are finding dead and injured tortoises, because we have been receiving a vastly increased number emails and letters on the subject recently.

It is too late to help those that have already died, but we can do something for the injured survivors. The faster these animals are identified and provided with a proper diagnosis and expert veterinary care the better their chances not only of continued survival, but of an eventual full recovery.

This is where you can help.

We would ask you to write a letter to your local newspaper or other local media, including local message boards, telling people that the extreme winter has caused serious damage to many hibernating tortoises, and that people should check their animals to make sure they are safe. People should not simply wait for the tortoise to emerge as usual, because if it has been frost damaged it may not do so. Certainly anyone who has hibernated in a shed, loft or outbuilding should regard their tortoises as being at risk. If in any doubt at all, get the tortoise up and to a qualified vet as soon as possible. Prompt intervention can make all the difference. The Tortoise Trust website (www.tortoisetrust.org) has free advice available on how to properly care for tortoises just out of hibernation and on how to tell if there is a problem:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/wakingup.htm

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/treatsight.html

We need to reach those keepers who do not follow forums like this, and who may not know what to do if they encounter a problem. You can help directly with this and could save lives or a tortoise's sight.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help

Postby Sara » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 pm

:x The risk is not being reduced by this atrocious guide to lethal hibernation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips ... 10236.html

... Not exactly recommended :x
Sara.
Sara

Postby Jonesy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:52 pm

I presume that the tortoise's name "scratch" says it all.
The poor thing, will people never learn?
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby Nina » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 pm

OMG -- not only is that potentially lethal advice, but the presenter is one of the creepiest people I've seen in ages, and it's put out by the BBC (who, after numerous Blue Peter disasters with tortoises, ought to at least now be checking their facts properly)!

Nina
Nina

Postby sprout » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Justin is an amazing presenter who has managed to bring disability and signed communication into the big wide world.
The advice given may be bad but that is the fault of the researchers NOT the presenter.
Kim :x
sprout

Re: Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help -- OT

Postby Nina » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 am

I'm really sorry, Kim -- I'd never seen Justin before and thanks for pointing out that he does good work with disabled and deaf children. I just thought that he seemed artificial and overly smiley, and it seemed odd to me, but I can see now that this is his style because of the job he does. And you're right -- it is the fault of the programme's researchers and not the presenter.

Nina

sprout wrote:Justin is an amazing presenter who has managed to bring disability and signed communication into the big wide world.
The advice given may be bad but that is the fault of the researchers NOT the presenter.
Kim :x
Nina

Postby sprout » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 am

:) Thanks Nina,
apology accepted :lol:
Kim x
sprout

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 am

To update:

We are getting A LOT of people in distress contacting us with dead and injured tortoises (as predicted). It really is VITAL that we get the word out on this. It WILL save tortoise's lives.

If you have not done so already, now is the time to help.

Here's a suggestion for wording if that would make it easier:

"The Tortoise Trust is alerting all keepers to the possibility of tortoises that have been hibernated in sheds, garages or similar outbuildings to check carefully and without delay for frost damage. The severe temperatures of this last winter has proved one of the worst on record for hibernation fatalities and injuries. It is essential that frost damaged tortoises are identified and provided with veterinary care as quickly as possible. If in doubt, get them out now and have them checked"
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bubbles » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I have sent the article to East Anglian Daily Times but no idea if they published it! Will try and follow up.......
Eliza
Bubbles

Postby Julie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Just sent off my article. Hope it gets published.
Julie

Next

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics