Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Frost damaged tortoises this winter - YOU can help

Postby ptcmaggie@gmail.com » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Would there be any way to make this literature given automatically to anybody purchasing or adopting a tort along with care and upkeep?
ptcmaggie@gmail.com

Postby arcadia » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:This particular winter in the UK has killed hundreds of hibernating tortoises. Many, many more will have suffered serious damage from the effects of these very low temperatures. Those in sheds, lofts and outbuildings are most at risk. Obviously, we have worked for the last 25 years now to try to educate and warn keepers about this issue, and have distributed countless thousands of copies (both in print and on line) of our little publication "Safer Hibernation & Your Tortoise":

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/safer.html

Hopefully, keepers who have followed this advice will find their tortoises healthy and safe.

Can you please confirm the safe recommended temperature range for the tortoise in its box while using this method.

(I'm not interested in any factual information on what temperatures a captive tortoise can tolerate.)

From what you said before on this thread it would seem to be the "ideal" 5C plus or minus one degree. So between 4 & 6C.
I presume nothing has changed and you still stand by your previous statements below ?

Tortoise Trust wrote:An ideal temperature for hibernation is 5 °C, or 40 °F. At this temperature tortoises remain safely asleep, but are in no danger of freezing

Tortoise Trust wrote:Again, we recommend 5 C as a safe temperature (not 2 or even 3 C). That is to take account of misreadings.

Tortoise Trust wrote:It is also clearly stated that the ideal target temperature for maintenance in such a situation is circa 5C. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4, and not 6 or 7.

Thanks

Bob
arcadia

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am

Bob, eh? You sound rather like someone else who had a very odd obsession with this topic!

You also seem to have similar difficulty in understanding something that is totally self-evident (to almost everyone else) from what I have repeatedly said.

Fact: a SAFE temperature range is anything above freezing point. Common-sense dictates that if temperatures approach freezing then the animal needs to be moved, or frost protection heating provided.

There is much more tolerance at the 'high temperature' end. Freezing point results in injury or death, however, and no tortoise must be subjected to this.

If there is a lot of insulation, it is possible for an outer box to provide some protection even in the case of sub-zero conditions for brief periods, but this is absolutely not recommended. We clearly recommend doing everything possible to keep temperatures in the +5C range.

It is really pretty simple.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Nina » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 pm

With the cold weather upon us, I thought I'd bump up this thread from last year, as it is relevant again now.

Nina
Nina

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes... and we still recommend 5C as a safe, general, target point.
Tortoise Trust

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics