Outside Enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Outside Enclosure

Postby freddie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi, I have 5 year old Horsfield and have recently moved house. This weekend we are hoping to start building Freds outside enclosure. I have bought some tortoise seeds and started to grow them i have also bought a wooden house to put in the enclosure. I have two areas which i think may be suitable they are both very spacious one is an area that also has a greenhouse i was thinking maybe a grassed area with access to the greenhouse as a indoor area for fred to roam in and out or secondly a open area of lawn which i will make safe and secure. Which ever i decide reading up on outside enclosures i have noted the following requirments ie, Grassy area, An paved area, tortoise feed area ie the seeds i am growing an area of shelter and a shallow bathing area. If anyone could give me any advice of any other requirements? your help is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Lisa (Freddie) :P :P :P
freddie

Re: Outside Enclosure

Postby Tamie Milne » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:53 pm

When adapting the area have you taken on board that Horsfields love to dig and create their own tunnels? So, whilst putting up boundaries you need to be aware they can tunnel out of what you may think is a secure area.

HTH

Tamie
Tamie Milne

Postby freddie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi
Thank you. would you suggest maybe wire mesh under a layer of soil?

Lisa (Freddie)
freddie

Postby * jo * » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:00 pm

My Horsfield enclosure has got cemented in 18" log roll and dug 2ft down and put wire down (no escape) then refilled it, i havent lost any in 4 years :lol:

Lots of suitable plants and hide places, Horsfields dont really eat grass so a grass area isnt needed.
* jo *

Postby freddie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Jo

Thanks for the advice, I think thats what i will do as fred is into everything and is very determined when he sets his mind on something. Looking at a post earlier they have made a sandy area would that be just normal sand and is that safe just think fred would prob enjoy that?

Kind Regards

Lisa (Freddie)
freddie

Postby * jo * » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:12 pm

If you use sand make sure its play sand :)
* jo *

Postby freddie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Ok, Thanks for your help x

Lisa (Freddie) ;)
freddie

Postby Lisa McIntyre » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm

* jo * wrote:Lots of suitable plants and hide places, Horsfields dont really eat grass so a grass area isnt needed.

I beg to differ Jo :lol: My russians readily crop the grass area in their enclosure and its not to get to weeds within the grass as unfortunately, the grass in there is purely grass :(
Lisa McIntyre

Postby * jo * » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:18 pm

;) Only one of mine eats it i must admit and he looks like a cow chomping on it :lol:
* jo *

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics