Thinking of BUYING a tortoise?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Thinking of BUYING a tortoise?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 am

Jonesy wrote:So if I understand this right:-
Any of the young tortoises that need to be donored into us or TT or any other organization, can be tested.

If it is a positive result then obviously the animal has the infection - does this then mean that the kindest result for that tortoise is to put it down?

False negative means that the tortoise has the infection but not showing it - This tortoise would need to be rehomed with no other tortoise at all or put down?

Asymptomatic result - again means that the tortoise has the disease but shows no evidence.

I presume that there is a negative result - This means that the tortoise does not have the disease or does not carry the virus and can be rehomed after the initial 18 months quaranteen.

Would it then be worth getting anyone handing a young tortoise in , for them to have the test done first and show and hand over the evidence, or for the organization to do this test on any young ones coming in?

How much should this test cost out of interest?

Thanks

Some may never develop any disease. In other cases it can take many years. We absolutely do not advocate killing tortoises simply on the basis of a positive test result. That would be a serious over-reaction and completely unjustified.

Labs carry out the test (in the UK) for approximately £35. It may cost more than that via a vet, however.

It is not necessary to test every tortoise. A risk assessment should be done. In may cases, there is negligible risk. Obviously, pet trade tortoises or animals from large and mixed species groups would be high risk.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Jonesy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks Andy and no we do not advocate putting tortoises down either, but it must be a question that many others have thought of asking.
It is a shame that the risk to other tortoises is so high and that the tortoises who get this disease die in such a horrible way isn't it?

Perhaps the best way is to rehome any young ones with people that do not have any other tortoises and make sure that they have the information on the herpes virus. I just think that a lot of people would refuse to take one/more on and then we are going to have an overload of tortoises.
Thanks
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 am

The best strategy is to use a minimum 18 month quarantine period. In that time, the vast, vast, majority of cases in T. hermanni, T. horsfieldii and T. g. graeca will reveal themselves. Any suspect animals can also be tested in addition.

If people keep small, separate groups, and are rigorous with hygiene and quarantine risks of transmission are very low indeed. At one point, we routinely had hundreds of tortoises passing through and had zero cross-infection.. so it can be done if you think it through, have a viable anti-contagion strategy, and stick to it without exception.

The problems start when complacency sets in and people think the 'rules' don't apply to them.....
Tortoise Trust

Postby SamanthaB88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 am

Hi

Myself and my partner and currently looking into having a Tortoise as a pet. I've been having a look around and been on various websites like this and I’ve check out the British Chelonian Group etc. I have also just ordered a book which is actually one of the books you recommend. We haven’t really pursued this much further yet as we want to make sure we know everything we can and we are prepared etc.. We have a good vet up the road from us who specalise in reptile care and my partners auntie being one of them.

Anyway, I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right directions. I’m unsure where to look for reputable breeders, does anyone know where I could find this information out? Or is it a case of going to reptile shop etc and asking when we get there to see their paperwork?

Is it possible to adopt and where would we find this information like this? I have to admit I haven't seen any places that do this but figured you can adopt cats/dogs so you must be able to adopt a tortoise!

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I’d be grateful to hear them.

Many Thanks
Sam :)
SamanthaB88

Postby Sara » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm

SamanthaB88 wrote:Hi

Myself and my partner and currently looking into having a Tortoise as a pet. I've been having a look around and been on various websites like this and I’ve check out the British Chelonian Group etc. I have also just ordered a book which is actually one of the books you recommend. We haven’t really pursued this much further yet as we want to make sure we know everything we can and we are prepared etc.. We have a good vet up the road from us who specalise in reptile care and my partners auntie being one of them.

Anyway, I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right directions. I’m unsure where to look for reputable breeders, does anyone know where I could find this information out? Or is it a case of going to reptile shop etc and asking when we get there to see their paperwork?

Is it possible to adopt and where would we find this information like this? I have to admit I haven't seen any places that do this but figured you can adopt cats/dogs so you must be able to adopt a tortoise!

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I’d be grateful to hear them.

Many Thanks
Sam :)

Hi Sam.

:) Welcome to the forum :)

Have a read through this link :-
viewforum.php?f=23
.. it may answer some of your queries.
Sara.
Sara

Postby Madtortlady » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:32 pm

'Horror of horrors'! (sorry to read about the tort being so sick!) Someone had posted up on Facebook that 2 tortoises were up for sale on EBAY! This is definitely against their policies, but seems to have to 'slipped through the net'. The seller has been reported by several of us & 'given a piece of my mind', I have to say - as these 2 male tortoises do NOT look to be in good condition at all. Seller says 'downsizing, been checked by the vet' - the 'usual'! Sadly, the seller is bound to next turn to Gumtree and/or Preloved or similar. All we can do is hope that eventually they end up with a caring owner. :(
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics