South East London / Kent announces their June Meeting

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

South East London / Kent announces their June Meeting

Postby justmeandmytortoise » Tue May 05, 2009 10:34 am

Just Me and my Tortoise
Tortoise Group for Kent & South East London
Telephone 0787 4034320

Next Meeting: Sunday 7th June @ 1.45pm
Venue: Keston, Kent BR2 (off the A232 near Bromley, S.E London)

2pm-3pm Lynne Stokes B.Vet.Med M.R.C.V.S.
"Tortoises, Terrapins and Turtles: They are what they eat!"

Abstract: My talk will focus on the correct feeding of various species of Chelonia in captivity in the home environment. I will particularly concentrate on those species that I have kept myself including the Mediterranean species, African Desert species, African Hingebacks and American Box and Musk turtles. I will also talk about the pitfalls of incorrect feeding including mineral and vitamin deficiencies and toxicities and liver and kidney disease. Unfortunately I can illustrate some of these with some of the mistakes that I have made over the years! In addition I will mention some of the husbandry of these species and how it affects their metabolism. Assisted feeding of poorly tortoises will also be covered. Hopefully you will leave having a better understanding of the workings of your tortoise’ digestive system!

I am delighted to welcome Lynne Stokes as our guest speaker and everyone from this Forum is welcome to come along and join us. There will be a small charge to cover the cost of the hall and refreshments and this is hoped to remain under £3. Please contact me if you would like to come along.

I have posted a full abstract under the Diet/Nutrition Topic for you to read more.

Wendy
Wendy
justmeandmytortoise

Re: Kent announces their June Meeting

Postby Belinda » Tue May 05, 2009 12:12 pm

A brilliant guest, Wendy! I have had the pleasure of listening to one of Lynne's talks before, as you know and i found her very warm, informative and entertaining. My only regret is that I won't be able to make this meeting and hear her again...and meet you finally of course!
Belinda x
_______
Belinda

Re: Kent announces their June Meeting

Postby Eversfield » Tue May 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Great speaker, and very interesting subject. Lynne is not only a Vet, but a keen Tortoise/ Turtle hobbyist, with very good practical experience of maintaining a private collection.
Book the meeting and enjoy! :D
Paul Eversfield
Eversfield

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics