male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Postby Madtortlady » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am

Found Toby on his back at weekend - hatched in 1992 - normally very healthy & not 'lumpy' (since made ramp to hutch more secure); got him upright, gave him a 'tomato treat'; ate just fine. :!: Seemed 'unperturbed' but it was quite cool that day. I had been particularly busy with 'indoor jobs' - hence unusually was just 'popping in & out' keeping an eye on all the torts, putting food out etc. not quite as often as I would usually be doing.

It was only later on Sunday, 14th May, 2017, I noticed he was moving 'oddly'.

Then it became apparent his front left leg isn't 'taking any weight'; feels quite 'floppy'; gently felt round each front leg: NO swelling apparent - both legs feel the same.

Have phoned vet.... can't get him in to see her until Monday. Told her no swelling. Of course, we can't really know anything until she x-rays him. Could? be broken inside? Although I don't know how. I have the 3 males in separate part of garden but am likely to get them re-homed, as they 'chase each other' 'ram each other' in the warm/hot weather - to a degree in that I don't feel I can now keep them and they must be stressing each other.

I'm going to have to try & sort out a separate area of garden, but don't have space or facilities to do this on a permanent basis.. with a good, reasonably, spacious, 'barrier'. As I write weather is wet & not much activity in general with any of them. Been bringing Toby in under lamp and his appetite/eating all absolutely FINE :!:

I just wanted to 'share' really - until I've seen the vet. Might it be likely he could have sprained his front leg somehow?
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Re: male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Postby Stuart » Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm

I see quite a few people have read this, and that you're not really expecting any replies...after all, there's no point speculating when you have an appointment on Monday. But do keep us informed! Hope all is well, or if not, that it can be dealt with.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby lynnedit » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 am

I agree the vet visit will hopefully provide helpful information for you.

I stumbled upon your post when I was searching for information about my Horsfield female. I noticed today that she is not using her R front leg, but otherwise eating, and moving around, though slowly. No swelling.
I've got an exotic vet visit for Wednesday (soonest I could get it).

I will be interested to hear what you find out, but I did see this thread as well...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11321&p=94605&hilit=front+leg#p94605
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby lynnedit » Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 am

Madtortlady wrote:I just wanted to 'share' really - until I've seen the vet. Might it be likely he could have sprained his front leg somehow?

How did your vet visit go?
Lynne
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby Madtortlady » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi - thanks Lynne & Stuart, wrote a message out, saved in draft, now can't find it :!: I do hope you can find out what is going on in your situation, Lynne, with your tort. How did you get on at your vet :?:

Trying to remember exactly what I wrote now: Duly got Toby to vet on Monday; waited outside, after checking in, as she was running late & he was making a dreadful smell in the car, as had been eating a LOT :!: :!: :oops:

Rachel duly came out to us and turned out to be a good idea to put him out on the grass just outside the surgery - to see how he was walking. Thus she could clearly see that movement in his leg was / is restricted.

She examined him carefully, felt no need for x-ray as not likely he had broken his leg :!: Diagnosed a likely
'sprain' :!: Informed her this would have been consistent with Toby having toppled onto his back at an angle from which he could not 'right himself' :!: I have often previously seen other of my torts trying to 'right' themselves, usually starting off using front leg as a kind of lever, working it quite hard pushing - prior to trying with other legs. (not that I 'stand around watching; just 'right' them :!: )

I had looked round the garden at dusk to see that all 'in' & cld. well have missed seeing him........could have been on his back some time. This was a very rare occurrence - unfortunate that it was a weekend when I wan't around so much. Feel rather 'bad' about that.

Thankfully, he was quite cool, duly ate well.

Informed Rachel (Mowbray- our vet in Stinchcombe, nr. Dursley, Glos.) and we took him inside. (he 'knew he was somewhere different & was having a jolly good look round, hoping to explore further :!: :D ) Rachel decided to try out a special laser treatment (looked this up & it's poss. that this is similar to what physios. give humans :!: )

We had to wear special yellow protective glasses to shield our eyes from what I think Rachel said was a kind of infra-red laser light; also she shielded Toby's eyes with small piece of black cloth. She initially told me that this equipment is what she keeps in neighbouring Rehab. Centre she had started up.... for all animals :!: Said thought it was also a good idea to have this in another room within the actual surgery in village of Stinchcombe.

Guessing this is the treatment: 'Low level laser therapy (LLLT) stimulates growth and healing of the tissue and reduces inflammation and oedema.' She thought that this could well be enough to start him off healing. Agreed I would still 'keep an eye' on him & keep her informed, see if Toby needs any further treatment. She will often kindly pick up & answer emails, even from home when not on duty :!:

Hence, it doesn't seem that serious although think this is somewhat of a nuisance to Toby, as he's usually a strong & 'lively' chap. I haven't felt the need to section off a tiny piece of garden as he tends to stay out of the way of other 2 with him, quietly going into the shade after having eaten; comes out later on when hungry, which he definitely has been :!:

As I write, reckon today has been our hottest day so far :!: (he still seems to 'get about' with some speed if I 'take my eye off him :) :D

Will 'keep you posted' (in last few days or so, had observed some problems with the website - seems OK now)
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
Madtortlady

Postby lynnedit » Tue May 30, 2017 4:44 am

Claire, thanks for the update.

The vet I went to was new to me, but has practiced in various spots for 26 years, and her focus is exotics/reptiles.

She was very good. In our case, she took an xray. There appeared to be some 'loss' in the shoulder joint space. She said this could be infection, cancer, or most likely a sprain/trauma as your vet suspected. It did confirm that there was no fracture.

The laser treatment you mention was not an option- but we are giving a pain med every 3 days, and monitoring. Much like your tortoise, she sticks to her area near her hide with access to shade and sun. I supplement her weeds, because she can't reach the variety, and soak her every other day to make sure she stays hydrated (water dish not far away, but..you know...)

I think there was a slight improvement in movement of the right front leg initially, but since then not much more change. It's now been about 10 days.
The next step in her case would be to take a needle sample of the joint, under anesthesia/sedation, using xray/fluoroscopy to guide the needle. I've scheduled this the week after this, hoping she shows more improvement, but it's on the books just in case.
:|

Lynne
Lynne
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby Madtortlady » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

Hello Lynne, so sorry, 'what with one thing & another', illness in family etc. I omitted to reply. :!:
Do hope something can be sorted out for your dear tort. My vet only offered the 'laser' treatment,
as she happened to have brought it in from a separate part of the vets' practice, which she has set
up for other animals: Rehab Centre.

With Toby - having him indoors a veritable 'nightmare'! Leg eased slightly then we had about a week's worth of
rain which didn't 'help' & I thought I may have had to take him again. However, when the weather warmed up again & we got the latest sunny spell, nature appeared to 'take its course' and he's almost fully mobile with it now.

Do let me know you get on with your tort. If she is still eating fine, may not be too much to worry about - but then we do, don't we?! :roll: I need another tort, Tina, I've had for over 57 years, checked up as she has for a long time tended to get somewhat 'puffy' in the tissues.

I note you had to wait for appointment, too :!: My vet is excellent, but now she runs this other nearby Rehab Centre for dogs, etc.,- plus working part time, I'm lucky if she's available perhaps one morning or evening a week - plus she's 'other side of the county' - so driving there & back during any 'rush hour' pretty hard, particularly when really worried about one of our 'loved ones' :!: (I'm in Gloucestershire) I'll try & remember to log in & do let me know how you get on. Best wishes,
Madtortlady

Postby AliTBimbo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

I hope he recovers soon. Weather here has meant greenhouse days too.
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
0:0:1 TGI Spur Thigh Baby Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics