male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Postby Madtortlady » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am

Found Toby on his back at weekend - hatched in 1992 - normally very healthy & not 'lumpy' (since made ramp to hutch more secure); got him upright, gave him a 'tomato treat'; ate just fine. :!: Seemed 'unperturbed' but it was quite cool that day. I had been particularly busy with 'indoor jobs' - hence unusually was just 'popping in & out' keeping an eye on all the torts, putting food out etc. not quite as often as I would usually be doing.

It was only later on Sunday, 14th May, 2017, I noticed he was moving 'oddly'.

Then it became apparent his front left leg isn't 'taking any weight'; feels quite 'floppy'; gently felt round each front leg: NO swelling apparent - both legs feel the same.

Have phoned vet.... can't get him in to see her until Monday. Told her no swelling. Of course, we can't really know anything until she x-rays him. Could? be broken inside? Although I don't know how. I have the 3 males in separate part of garden but am likely to get them re-homed, as they 'chase each other' 'ram each other' in the warm/hot weather - to a degree in that I don't feel I can now keep them and they must be stressing each other.

I'm going to have to try & sort out a separate area of garden, but don't have space or facilities to do this on a permanent basis.. with a good, reasonably, spacious, 'barrier'. As I write weather is wet & not much activity in general with any of them. Been bringing Toby in under lamp and his appetite/eating all absolutely FINE :!:

I just wanted to 'share' really - until I've seen the vet. Might it be likely he could have sprained his front leg somehow?
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Re: male tortoise lame front leg no swelling seen/felt

Postby Stuart » Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm

I see quite a few people have read this, and that you're not really expecting any replies...after all, there's no point speculating when you have an appointment on Monday. But do keep us informed! Hope all is well, or if not, that it can be dealt with.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby lynnedit » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 am

I agree the vet visit will hopefully provide helpful information for you.

I stumbled upon your post when I was searching for information about my Horsfield female. I noticed today that she is not using her R front leg, but otherwise eating, and moving around, though slowly. No swelling.
I've got an exotic vet visit for Wednesday (soonest I could get it).

I will be interested to hear what you find out, but I did see this thread as well...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11321&p=94605&hilit=front+leg#p94605
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby lynnedit » Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 am

Madtortlady wrote:I just wanted to 'share' really - until I've seen the vet. Might it be likely he could have sprained his front leg somehow?

How did your vet visit go?
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics