Shell Issues

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Shell Issues

Postby DSterantino » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Hello all - Any thought son what this might be? 5 year old, 11"SCL female radiated tortoise. Had been in very hot and dry desert conditions for 3 years. Is now in more moderate, higher humidity. Fungal?

Thanks,

Dan

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DSterantino

Re: Shell Issues

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi Dan,

It does appear consistent with a necrotic ulcerative dermatitis type condition, i.e, 'shell rot' - but fairly early stages. Hard to say what might have initiated this... could be a minor trauma or similar. It needs investigating. Check for any loose/necrotic material. Culture advised - though I must say that I have found the vast, vast majority of these conditions do respond well to the 'traditional' methods of removing loose material, exposing to air, and saturating with povidone iodine. Systemic therapy normally only required in very severe, otherwise unresponsive cases. Most recover well, and rapidly, with topical treatment. Keep us posted and good luck!
Tortoise Trust

Postby DSterantino » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Andy - So sorry I never responded to this. I did go up and write a thank you post and must have never clicked "submit". Again - very sorry and thank you for your input. I did treat as you suggested and it made a significant difference. I used the Betadine for 14 days. I don't believe it completely solved the problem so I plan to treat again.

Dan
DSterantino

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am

They can be persistent. Normally the Betadine does work, if not, take a same and culture it as there are alternative anti-fungals that may be used.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics