Tortoise gasping after hibernation ? Dying

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Tortoise gasping after hibernation ? Dying

Postby Celiatimms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't know if anyone can help. My exotic vet is on holiday and the cover vets don't know what to advise. My 12 yr tortoise came out of the fridge this morning. Had a not unusual 5% wt loss during hibernation. Have two the same age. The other one is behaving normally. The poorly one is weak and gasping. Has been under the lamp and bathing regularly. Mouth, tail, eyes and ears and nostril all clear. Maybe she has a respiratory infection. It's not clear. I have an apt in the morning with the exotics vet but I fear it may be too late by then. I don't have any reptiboost to use until tomorrow. Any advice please?
Celia
Celiatimms

Re: Tortoise gasping after hibernation ? Dying

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Celiatimms wrote:I don't know if anyone can help. My exotic vet is on holiday and the cover vets don't know what to advise. My 12 yr tortoise came out of the fridge this morning. Had a not unusual 5% wt loss during hibernation. Have two the same age. The other one is behaving normally. The poorly one is weak and gasping. Has been under the lamp and bathing regularly. Mouth, tail, eyes and ears and nostril all clear. Maybe she has a respiratory infection. It's not clear. I have an apt in the morning with the exotics vet but I fear it may be too late by then. I don't have any reptiboost to use until tomorrow. Any advice please?

I can only suggest you keep her warm over the night time too.
I cannot think of a quick thing to help.
Nebuliser with F10 would help but again that needs sorting.
Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Celiatimms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm

She has had an f10 nebuliser and an antibiotic injection but is very weak and still occasional gasps with mouth wide open. She looks terribly ill. She has hibernated every year but one ( is now 11) having survived a brutal dog attack 4 years ago. She is being kept warm but her limbs are cool. It’s terribly sad and awful to see her like it.
Celia
Celiatimms

Postby Celiatimms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm

She has now died. No idea what went wrong
Celia
Celiatimms

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 am

Celiatimms wrote:She has now died. No idea what went wrong

Really sorry to hear:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Very sorry.
One feels so helpless, sometimes...but it sounds as if you, and your vet, did everything you could.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby gettingwarmer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:31 am

So sorry for your loss Celia.

Stephanie
gettingwarmer

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics