Problems after egg laying

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Problems after egg laying

Postby chrisp » Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,
Haven't been on the forum for a while . Have a problem with my seventy something Mediterranean Tortie.
She layed 12 egg a week ago. Since then she has not eaten and is charging around like a mad thing in search of something.
She has been to the vet , had an X-ray, blood test and beak trim. (Cost an arm and a leg ) . No more eggs and everything ok.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem . She's still not eating and is still very restless.
Any suggestions welcome.
Chris
chrisp

Re: Problems after egg laying

Postby Sandy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:39 pm

chrisp wrote:Hi,
Haven't been on the forum for a while . Have a problem with my seventy something Mediterranean Tortie.
She layed 12 egg a week ago. Since then she has not eaten and is charging around like a mad thing in search of something.
She has been to the vet , had an X-ray, blood test and beak trim. (Cost an arm and a leg ) . No more eggs and everything ok.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem . She's still not eating and is still very restless.
Any suggestions welcome.
Chris

Did she lay naturally?
As it sounds like a hormonal problem to me. This can happen if oxytocin is used.
They can lay more eggs around a month later.
Your vet should be better informed than me, but my info is from experience of my tortoises and friends tortoises:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby chrisp » Thu May 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi,
Yes she did lay natrually. Although not as she normally does , on a mound of sand and soil in the green house .
She dumped her eggs on the lawn.
I was wondering as she didn't go through the normal procedure of covering them ,she felt as if she hadn't completed the task.
Yesterday she tried to dig a hole in the greenhouse floor.
If it is hormonal, hopefully things will get back to normal before long.
Chris.
chrisp

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat May 12, 2018 10:42 am

Normally hormonal peaks recede over 10 days to 2 weeks...
Tortoise Trust

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:Normally hormonal peaks recede over 10 days to 2 weeks...

Thats handy info! For males?
Herd of growing torts, birds and dogs of course.
Lawrence

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu May 31, 2018 11:16 am

That's for females, after laying... males.. well.. that can be longer. Much longer. More like 2-3 months..
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics