Greek Spur tortoise not eating?

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Greek Spur tortoise not eating?

Postby andyh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 am

Ive had the tortoise for 38yrs hes around 30cm in size, based in UK and very used to British weather. He hibernates every year, and spends most day outside in the garden, free to roam. His diet is mainly dandelion, romaine lettuce, clover some grapes, cucumber occasionally.

From Wednesday last week hes stopped eating, he may sniff the food but then trys to move away (in disgust!) wont drink from a water bowl or if sat in a bath. After 10mins trying with everything possble he ate 1 grape and 1 dandelion leaf, and that was it. Was paranoid he was going to get dehydrated so shrynged some water in his mouth since thur, although most appears to drip out. Hes urinated and pooped, but not a lot as he hasnt been eating, eyes are bright, no runny nose, walks around but tends to sleep a lot. I usually bring him in everynight and normally hes climbing out his box first thing in desperation to get some sun. When I put him out he walks off and finds a sop under a plant but in the sun and sits for hours and sleeps. Most plants look half dead and the grass is like straw its that dry

As you know weve been having a lot of hot weather lately, very little rain and even in the shade its 27+C , at first I though maybe hes eaten something and has upset stomach and so maybe he needs time to get over it and regain his appetite. But then I just read about estivation could it be this? hes never done it before but then to be fair hes never had a summer this hot for this long, always get cold days and rain.

Could it be something else? obviously a little concerened as his weight will start to drop and only have a 6-8 weeks before he starts to stop eating for hibernation and if it is estivation how long will it go on for before he starts eating again?
andyh

Re: Greek Spur tortoise not eating?

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm guessing, but concurring with your thought that it's aestivation - or at least that it's generally too warm and he prefers to hide away? (Although 27*C isn't so high for a Mediterranean-origin tortoise - but then, as you say,. he may not be used to this almost constant heat!)

Keep on giving him the opportunity to drink (via bathing) and don't panic yet?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 pm

andyh wrote:Ive had the tortoise for 38yrs hes around 30cm in size, based in UK and very used to British weather. He hibernates every year, and spends most day outside in the garden, free to roam. His diet is mainly dandelion, romaine lettuce, clover some grapes, cucumber occasionally.

From Wednesday last week hes stopped eating, he may sniff the food but then trys to move away (in disgust!) wont drink from a water bowl or if sat in a bath. After 10mins trying with everything possble he ate 1 grape and 1 dandelion leaf, and that was it. Was paranoid he was going to get dehydrated so shrynged some water in his mouth since thur, although most appears to drip out. Hes urinated and pooped, but not a lot as he hasnt been eating, eyes are bright, no runny nose, walks around but tends to sleep a lot. I usually bring him in everynight and normally hes climbing out his box first thing in desperation to get some sun. When I put him out he walks off and finds a sop under a plant but in the sun and sits for hours and sleeps. Most plants look half dead and the grass is like straw its that dry

As you know weve been having a lot of hot weather lately, very little rain and even in the shade its 27+C , at first I though maybe hes eaten something and has upset stomach and so maybe he needs time to get over it and regain his appetite. But then I just read about estivation could it be this? hes never done it before but then to be fair hes never had a summer this hot for this long, always get cold days and rain.

Could it be something else? obviously a little concerened as his weight will start to drop and only have a 6-8 weeks before he starts to stop eating for hibernation and if it is estivation how long will it go on for before he starts eating again?

Sounds pretty normal to me, in the wild they hide away during the middle of the day.
Provided he is normal in every other way, it's just you thinking he needs to eat:0) they can go weeks without food but not water.
If this sort of weather keeps up, hibernation time will be later this year.
He will eat when he is ready:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby andyh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks both for the replies. Yeah its probably me being paranoid as I'm used to him hiding all day when its sunny, but always he eats early evening, and often morning and during the day. Never had him refuse food for several days, but then weve not had sunny weather as long as this for a long time, he is acting in exactly the same way he does coming to hibernation around mid Sept, slowing down in the morning, late waking up, not doing much and not eating - and I don't mind this as its required for hibernation, appreciate they can go a while without food, and like you say he will eat when hes ready.
andyh

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics