Tortoise worms and guinea pigs!

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Tortoise worms and guinea pigs!

Postby karen54 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi everyone
so would appreciate your help
I think I have been an idiot
so back in the summer i looked after 2 guinea pigs for a friend they had their own cage but on one particular nice day i let them have a run in my horsfield Derek's outside cage

Everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago Derek has almost completely stopped eating
he seems fine in himself but simply wont eat
A trip to the vet today for a thorougher examination plus a poo sample (he managed one God nos how without food)
Everything was ok ...apart from the poo sample which showed a lot more roundworm
He,s had a worming tablet but has to go back twice more for the same
so i,m thinking has he picked up these worms from the guinea pigs??...my stupid fault if he has I know and one thing i wont ever be repeating
do i need now to decontaminate his indoor hse ie remove all substrate....is there anything i can use to help kill them ie a spray of something? and what of his outside cage?...its been in one area for about 5 years....ive sown tortoise friendly weeds in it and he has a house and rocks in it do i need to abandon it lift the out side of the cage up and set it up else where?
Thanks
karen54

Re: Tortoise worms and guinea pigs!

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Sorry as I am not sure on the subject Karen , but hopefully someone who knows will come along soon . :)
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:07 pm

karen54 wrote:Hi everyone
so would appreciate your help
I think I have been an idiot
so back in the summer i looked after 2 guinea pigs for a friend they had their own cage but on one particular nice day i let them have a run in my horsfield Derek's outside cage

Everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago Derek has almost completely stopped eating
he seems fine in himself but simply wont eat
A trip to the vet today for a thorougher examination plus a poo sample (he managed one God nos how without food)
Everything was ok ...apart from the poo sample which showed a lot more roundworm
He,s had a worming tablet but has to go back twice more for the same
so i,m thinking has he picked up these worms from the guinea pigs??...my stupid fault if he has I know and one thing i wont ever be repeating
do i need now to decontaminate his indoor hse ie remove all substrate....is there anything i can use to help kill them ie a spray of something? and what of his outside cage?...its been in one area for about 5 years....ive sown tortoise friendly weeds in it and he has a house and rocks in it do i need to abandon it lift the out side of the cage up and set it up else where?
Thanks

We all learn by our mistakes.
I would say your tortoise stopped eating because of the drop in temps and the shorter days. I know you took him to the vets and they found round worms. But your tortoise might well have had them before he stopped eating. As eggs would have been dropped from the worms in his enclosure.
Changing the area your tortoise uses if possible will only be for the better, and you would be able to use the contaminated area again in a few years:0)
I am sure there are things like F10 that could be used to disinfect the contaminated area, but changing the area would put your mind at ease:0)
Horsfields are the barometer tortoises of the chelonia world, and are the first to react to drops in temps and day length.
If your tortoise has been on worming tablets then dont hibernate for a month or two, as it has been known for the tablets to affect hibernation.
Mixing animals is never a good idea:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby karen54 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Sandy
You always come to my aid!
So daily Derek is scratching in his inside hse to burrow down then marching around the cage ...scratching the inside of his hse again then sleeping ..then repeating the whole process several times a day
His lamp is on yet he doesn't seem bothered with it
he even does it into the evening he never used to do this ...once he was settled in he never moved about
i,m bathing him daily...which he hates but i've yet to see him drink or eat.....It must be at least 3 weeks now since he has eaten...I know they have to be empty for hibernation but i control that...this is the first time ever up to the run of hibernation that he has stopped eating himself....i,m worried he will starve himself to death..Ive tried everything to get him to eat ...all his favourites ...nothing...the vet gave him a clean bill of health on everything else ...but he has to go back for 2 more wormings....and he (the vet\ told me not to hibernate him this year?
karen54

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 pm

karen54 wrote:Hi Sandy
You always come to my aid!
So daily Derek is scratching in his inside hse to burrow down then marching around the cage ...scratching the inside of his hse again then sleeping ..then repeating the whole process several times a day
His lamp is on yet he doesn't seem bothered with it
he even does it into the evening he never used to do this ...once he was settled in he never moved about
i,m bathing him daily...which he hates but i've yet to see him drink or eat.....It must be at least 3 weeks now since he has eaten...I know they have to be empty for hibernation but i control that...this is the first time ever up to the run of hibernation that he has stopped eating himself....i,m worried he will starve himself to death..Ive tried everything to get him to eat ...all his favourites ...nothing...the vet gave him a clean bill of health on everything else ...but he has to go back for 2 more wormings....and he (the vet\ told me not to hibernate him this year?

My adult ibera ignore any extra heat this time of the year, they know they are winding down, so just do their own thing.
I just dont put any weeds out for them to eat, and I block the hole they normally coma and go from. As I know if they go outside they will bury down and I wont be able to find them:0)
Its easy for the vet to say keep him up, but he is a horsfield and take no notice of a vet.
If I am honest I would not worm a tortoise this time of the year, as its near impossible to keep them up, especially as they have the built in clock to do so.
You could see if the vet has any ideas on how to keep him up, as I really have no idea, other than what you are already doing sorry:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics