Horsfield with big problems

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Horsfield with big problems

Postby Bigjoe » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:06 pm

This little one is now with us,no history but the pictures speak for themselves ..poor little guy was dumped at a local pet shop and was going to be thrown in the river if they didn't take..that's the story I was told true or false doesn't matter now little one is at least safe with me and miss Paula ,appointment booked for 09.30 with Mark Roland's at Trinity vets tomorrow .
I can only think this one has been kept in a viv with an appalling diet with no care at all
Both eyes completely closed but I have seen movement in right one
Plastron soft and very bad carapace
Beak has overbite
We've now got this little one in a 50 gal Laguna tub with soil substrate ,heat/ light with good basking area / shaded area
Bathed today and eyes bathed with cod liver oil...that's all we could do today with no vet available until tomorrow.
I've gotta give this little one a chance so all advice please...I'll keep you posted after tomorrow's vets visit.
I'll get better pics up tomorrow with weight and size
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Re: Horsfield with big problems

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:18 am

Severe calcium deficiencies... dehydration...

Lots of soaks, then to Mark...
Tortoise Trust

Postby Sonja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:42 am

How awful. Very sad. Great that you take care for him. Would love to know the outcome at the vet.
Sonja
Sonja

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Positive news so far after the appointment with mark at trinity vets,little one will be kept in till Wednesday for rehydration ,food and antibiotics..Marks very confident that both eyes will open in a few days,right one wasn't fully shut as I thought,so it's looking better for the little one...news like this is better than a winning the lottery.. :D
I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Sonja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Yes good news Joe. Very happy for you both.
Sonja
Sonja

Postby Clara » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Glad he has found a better life with you and Miss Paula.

Clara
Clara

Postby Avatar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Another happy ending :D this little fella is very lucky to have you both.
"was going to be thrown in the river if they didn't take". Do they think this one is aquatic...?! :cry:
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Little more update today ,little one is staying at Trinity Vets till Friday now,Mark would like just to keep an eye on this one,just in case.miss Paula was told little Tort was looking a little brighter and not hiding
Gloria not sure what they where thinking..I can only imagine not a lot was going on between the ears of whoever had this little one before we got involved ..
Joe
Bigjoe

Next

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics