Horsfield with big problems

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Re: Horsfield with big problems

Postby Sue Doxat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Any news, I am sure many of us are hoping for some progress. So sad and not the torts fault ofcourse
Sue Doxat

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi Sue,little one had a trip to trinity on Monday as we where a little concerned about a scale on the head,nothing to worry about just one that's a different colour that the rest ,as we had no history on this one we edged on caution and off we all went to the vets..weight gain since we we first got little one,eyes still not open but looking more like eyes rather than a blank patch where the eye lids are,you can see for a better word more detail if you know what I mean than before around the eye area,still eating like a champ and exploring her ( we think this one is female ) new out door set- up,it's funny we kept the indoor set- up very simple two plants for cover/ shade ,water disk ,feeding slate and she works her way around and feeds herself no problem,I think this one got a little spoilt by Miss Paula hand feeding her until she had to find the food herself..
I think this is going to be a waiting game but I'm 100% sure I'm going to have a good ending,the sad thing about this Sue is this was avoidable..I'll keep you all posted with any progress ..soon I do hope
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Sue Doxat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 pm

Hope you are still seeing some improvements. If his/ her eyes do open is it very hopeful eyesight will be OK! Any chance of another photo. How is the mobility now? Keep up the good work.
Sue Doxat

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Sue just a few pics of little Reno for you,not easy taking pics of this little one ..
You can just about see the closure around the eye area and the overbite on the lower jaw,the eyes are much better than when we first picked this little one up,they look more like eyes rather than just for a better description scales covering the eye area,now you can clearly eye lids and more movement ..blinking..three soaks a day min plus eye drops as often as possible,feeding still with a little help from us at times but finding her own food more often than not.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Well done so far Joe.

Will the overbite correct itself in time, do you think? Carapace clearly permanently distorted, but future growth might minimise the appearance over time? (I'm hoping that for my own distorted horsfield rescue, but it's in a worse state than yours appears to be, as far as the carapace is concerned...)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks Stuart,I do hope the overbite will/ can be corrected in time,priority is to get the eye lids unstuck,this little one will be over wintered this year as we have no history with any problems before we got her,two years ago Bubba came to us with a bumpy carapace today he looks nothing like the day we got him,I do hope the same for Reno.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby olly » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 am

Oh Joe.... what a marvellous job you're both doing
Poor Reno..... can't even begin to imagine how many others are out there like that..... so lucky Reno for getting a great chance of survival.
When I took Daisy to the vet last week (my post Not Eating n Sleeping all day) , a woman peered in my box and said Ooh I want one of those !.....she didn't even know what 'one of those' was called.....
I said you must do lots of research first , and the initial set up can be quite expensive with the correct facilities both indoor and outdoor... all info you need on the TT site.....
One can only hope.....
I'd love to have a rescue tort , but I'm not confident I'd have the facilities to keep them apart for either the quarantine period or maybe even forever...... so well done people like you...
olly

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi olly
Well done for pointing the women at the vets on here for info,yep you can only hope.
As for more like Reno out there I'm sure there is lots..just got to keep doing what we can..
Thank you for your kind words olly ,I'll keep you all posted on little Reno as we progress
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:38 pm

Great work Joe , Reno is in top hands !!! ;)
Tracy33

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:05 pm

At last...we have some sight in one eye ..the left one :D...Reno today flinches to hand movement ,not just when a shadow is cast over her...good news but damm this has taken some time...so I'll keep on with the daily eye drops and wait..
Made my day :D
Joe
Bigjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics