Help...plantain got stuck in nose

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Help...plantain got stuck in nose

Postby Avatar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 am

I am not sure how it happened, but when I found him I saw part of the flower stalk(??) of plantain protruding out from the nostril...
I gave him his most favourite food so he cound open his mouth widely. I could see half of the stalk is in the esophagus and the other half is in the nostril (passage between the nose and the throat). Couldn't take the pic now as he is so strong without anyone helping me to hold the cam...
I have tried to move the stalk from the nostril but failed
What should I do ? Will he be able to swallow the whole stalk a few days later? Or any vet assistance needed? At present he looks OK.
Any comments welcome.
Thank you.
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Re: Help...plantain got stuck in nose

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:12 pm

I'd get this one ASAP to a vet Gloria ,damage possible trying to get this out yourself and possible infection if any was left there to decompose
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Avatar » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:23 am

Yes Joe you are right! I took him to my vet yesterday and now everything is fixed. He is now very comfortable and is having a very good sleep :lol:
My vet's guess is that little fella found it too big to swallow and then tried to get rid of it, but accidently (and unluckily...)it went straight into the nose part...he was sedated and luckily the whole process went smoothly. No bleeding or damage. Only a little bit irritation.
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:35 am

Wow Gloria...I think that would irritate me if that was stuck in my nose..good little fellas all fixed
Joe
Bigjoe

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics