Redfoot and Western Box turtle mating (males)

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Redfoot and Western Box turtle mating (males)

Postby DeeKidd » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:02 am

True story......I came home to see my Redfoot, Leo frantically begging at the sliding glass door to get in the house. Charlie, my box turtle was hot on Leo's back in a mating position. These are two males, Leo 6 yrs old and Charlie 30 yrs old. They only met over the last 2 days as I just inherited Charlie from my grandfather who had to go into assisted living. I really thought I would have to worry about Charlie given the size difference between the two but clearly I was wrong. Leo is not happy with the situation. I will try to upload a picture I got, but more disturbing was a video I got as well. I will upload if anyone wants to see it but I need instructions on how to upload. It is 35.8 MB. Has anyone ever observed this happening? FYI, Leo visits his vet 2 times a year and Charlie was just issued a clean bill of health as well and I was given the green light by my vet to put these two together. I am stumped! Is this normal?

Dee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeeKidd

Re: Redfoot and Western Box turtle mating (males)

Postby Stuart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 pm

I don't know about normal, but it's not unheard of for male tortoises to exhibit mating behaviour with rocks, owner's shoes etc.

I'm not going to pass comment on the advice you've received from your vet to keep these two together, other than that I'm rather surprised.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: Redfoot and Western Box turtle mating (males)

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 am

Like Stuart, I am somewhat "put out" by the advice from your vet, which frankly, I find incomprehensible.

If it was me - I'd be looking for another vet. Someone with a bit of basic understanding of the issues involved.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics