Shell damage from dog attack

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Shell damage from dog attack

Postby Lizzie W » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Unfortunately my pair of Hermans suffered a dog attack last Friday- resulting in Jim being put to sleep and Betty now with a cracked shell on top and bottom.We are nursing her in an indoor run, where she is most of he time sleeping at the moment. It a struggle but managing to giver her the tiny doses of antibiotic and pain relief via pipette daily advised by the vet. It is possible that the top shell injury may knit together in time but the bottom is more severe and looking on the Internet , I fear will need glueing together - if she survives. Our lovely little pair were only 6 years old so Betty who survived has a lot of growing to do; if she can survive the attack and fight off any infection. Advise ,help or remedies for the wounds would be most welcome. Our local vet is lovely and very compassionate but not a tortoise expert. Help most appreciated.
Lizzie W

Re: Shell damage from dog attack

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 am

Hi Lizzie,

Very sorry to hear this.

Two thing. First, get the tortoise INDOORS out of direct sun and away from flies.

Second, it would help if you could email some photos to me at: tortoisetrust@aol.com

Let me take a look at the extent of the injuries. We see a lot of this out here, and I can then give you some detailed guidelines as to various options for treatment/recovery. The good news is they can make incredible recoveries from this kind of attack. With dog injuries, the first steps are to irrigate all the affected areas with sterile saline really well, and to get antibiotic cover in ASAP by injection. Baytril (enrofloxacin) at 10-15mg per Kg is typically ideal.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Avatar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:28 am

Oh sorry to hear this. Hope little one can get through the tough time :( :(
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Tracy33 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:44 pm

Very sorry Lizze for little Jim . I do hope Betty makes it through .
Tracy33

Postby Bigjoe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Lizzie
Check the link below ,hopfully a vet listed will be close to you.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=662
Speedy recovery
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:01 am

I am in direct contact with Lizzie and I think the tortoise should be OK.

It did receive prompt emergency treatment and it is making good progress.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics