another behaviour query ...

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

another behaviour query ...

Postby Stuart » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:32 pm

...very similar to Carmalee's ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11000 ) so maybe the same answer except that my problem is with a one year old hatchling, so the safety margins are probably smaller.

It's (now) the smallest of the three I hatched last year, and has always been a bit more reclusive. However, it did not adjust to the new outdoor enclosure, preferring to dig right down into the diggable soft soil I'd originally put in, and, a few days ago, even into the ballast sub-base to the extent that it was very difficult to find yesterday when I started to add the top sand/soil and didn't want to bury it.

To be fair, all of the hatchlings/juveniles have been comparatively inactive outside. I accepted that they've been used to mostly indoor conditions for quite some time (in one case, for three years) with only occasional forays into temporary outdoor enclosures when it's been really hot and sunny. And it has not been really hot and sunny this summer.
Also I know that new conditions take some getting used to, even in favourable temperatures.

But this little one's behaviour suggests it's determined to hibernate (I wouldn't say aestivate, it's not been hot enough to trigger that).
I've not yet hibernated any of these hatchlings.

I've brought it back inside now, back to the set-up it has been in all year, because with deeper top-soil it could dig into outside, I might not easily find it again without taking the whole enclosure apart, which I'm loathe to do, having just finished "landscaping" it - the others just make light scrapes overnight, and I'm reasonably confident they'll get up again in the morning, conditions being favourable. Not so this one.

It does eat a little when dug out and placed in front of food (even outside) and beneath a basking light (now that it's inside again).But fairly quickly retreats and digs down in the t-table.What can I do to "re-activate" it?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: another behaviour query ...

Postby insenceaddict » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi Stuart, I have a little horsfield that does the same, in the end I let her dig in and thought she will come up eventually, its summer for god sake! however, she stayed there day after day and in the end I dug her up and put her back in her indoor enclosure, she then began basking ands eating again. so after a few weeks we tried her in the group with garden access again, and low and behold she did the exact same thing that day so I got her back up. what I do now is put her in her indoor set up all night and early morning and put her in the group during the sunnier part of the day and this seems to make her more content. she is the only one I have that does this!
not sure if this helps,
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics