Walking issues

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Walking issues

Postby Vickie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi,

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong area. Ok here goes......
I have a 12 year old horsefield tortoise (boy) ive had him for around 8 years. He lives outside all day (bring him in at nighttime) in an open enclosure for around 5-6 months of the year, he has been successfully hibernated (fridge method) for 14 weeks every year for the past 7 years, the cooler months of the year he lives indoors in an open tortoise table with a uva/uvb light. He eats predominantly weeds, edible flowers and romaine lettuce dusted with nutrobol.

Now the problem is for around 6 weeks he has started slightly dragging one of his front limbs almost as if he using his left front leg to drag the rest of his body? Which gives the impression of a slanted walk? I took him to the vets for an x-Ray and this came back absolutely fine, no breaks/damage/injury or arthritis on any of his limbs and the vet said he looked in all round good health. He is currently eating fine, has regular baths, nice pink tongue, bright eyes etc so I really don't know what this could be. Am I able to upload a video to this forum for you guys to have a look?

Thanks in advance
Vickie
Vickie

Re: Walking issues

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 am

Hi Vickie,

This can be a symptom of a "pulled muscle" in the leg not being used properly. If so, it should self-resolve. If not, further investigation will be needed. these kind of muscular sprains, if that it what it is, are hard to diagnose...because there is little or nothing that will show on x-ray and there may be no associated swelling.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Vickie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I will see how he goes as like I said otherwise seems absolutely fine and definitely doesn't look in pain so hopefully will improve soon.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Regards,
Vickie
Vickie

Postby marco2.8 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem with a female spur thigh except it is on the rear legs but more so on one of the rear legs. It started late summer, the tortoise is 12 years old, is eating very well, lovely smooth shell captive bred by myself. She has been taken to the vet. She has had x-rays and blood tests, all have come back perfectly fine, there is a very slight kink on the backbone, but even the vet is puzzled by the problem with the rear legs and has said the tortoise is not in pain. Do I put her into hibernation as normal ? I have read an article where someone had a tortoise with the same problem. They put their tortoise into hibernation as normal, after hibernation the tortoise came out perfectly ok ?
marco2.8

Postby Madtortlady » Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Vickie & Andy - posted similar on this link viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11552

Hope you can view it: male tortoise lame front leg
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics