Stone removal procedure

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Stone removal procedure

Postby Mosedale » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Hello all. I have been given the opportunity to take on a neighbors tortoise ( they are moving to Canada). My concern is the tortoise which is a 2 year old Hermann's has been diagnosed with a bladder stone. Will this be easy for me to get a vet to get rid of ? Or will it kill him ? . I don't want to take him on just to lose him, also I'm new to keeping tortoises myself. Any advise would be helpful
Mosedale

Re: Stone removal procedure

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Mosedale wrote:Hello all. I have been given the opportunity to take on a neighbors tortoise ( they are moving to Canada). My concern is the tortoise which is a 2 year old Hermann's has been diagnosed with a bladder stone. Will this be easy for me to get a vet to get rid of ? Or will it kill him ? . I don't want to take him on just to lose him, also I'm new to keeping tortoises myself. Any advise would be helpful

If the bladder stone is not delt with properly by a vet, then indeed the tortoise can die.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Mosedale » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi Sandy. Thank you for replying to another of my questions. Do you happen to know about the procedure. My neighbour is under the impression either medication or breaking it up and taking out the bottom area is what's needed. I've heard the shell needs to be cut open to allow access. The lump is about a large pea size.
Mosedale

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Mosedale wrote:Hi Sandy. Thank you for replying to another of my questions. Do you happen to know about the procedure. My neighbour is under the impression either medication or breaking it up and taking out the bottom area is what's needed. I've heard the shell needs to be cut open to allow access. The lump is about a large pea size.

It depends on the size of the stone and the tortoise.
Sometimes the stone can be broken up, sometimes they need to use surgery.
A lot depends on the experience of the tortoise vet.
Thats about my knowledge of stones:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:40 am

It really needs an assessment. The surgery is quite invasive. However, sometimes, by getting them away from heat lamps (dehydrating), giving lots of soaks, and correct diet, they can gradually break down over time. It does not sound too large right now, so I would take that approach.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Mosedale » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:It really needs an assessment. The surgery is quite invasive. However, sometimes, by getting them away from heat lamps (dehydrating), giving lots of soaks, and correct diet, they can gradually break down over time. It does not sound too large right now, so I would take that approach.

When you say getting them away from heat lamps, would that be by keeping him outside when suitable or reducing lamp duration ?
I have convinced her a few months ago to change his diet. She used to feed coloured pellets a few times a week and weeds,,now it's purely weeds.
Thank you.
Mosedale

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Both.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics