Normal behaviour ??

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Normal behaviour ??

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 am

Hello all. I have a question about drinking...or rather not drinking. Both my hatchlings NEVER drink. I bathe them daily, but don't see how they will remain hydrated if they don't drink. They hardly wee either. Temps are 30-33 and 17-18 cold end. Fed all weed diet. I have taken to feeing some Romaine lettuce to get some moisture into them. Any tips/ advise please.
Mosedale

Re: Normal behaviour ??

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 am

Mosedale wrote:Hello all. I have a question about drinking...or rather not drinking. Both my hatchlings NEVER drink. I bathe them daily, but don't see how they will remain hydrated if they don't drink. They hardly wee either. Temps are 30-33 and 17-18 cold end. Fed all weed diet. I have taken to feeing some Romaine lettuce to get some moisture into them. Any tips/ advise please.

Try using rain water:0)
I found the same 20 odd years ago, so thought wild. I changed to rain water and they drank. They can hold their heads under the water a long time. And its scary, as you think they will drown:0)
My adults can be readily drinking from puddles when it rains.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:27 am

Sandy wrote:
Mosedale wrote:Hello all. I have a question about drinking...or rather not drinking. Both my hatchlings NEVER drink. I bathe them daily, but don't see how they will remain hydrated if they don't drink. They hardly wee either. Temps are 30-33 and 17-18 cold end. Fed all weed diet. I have taken to feeing some Romaine lettuce to get some moisture into them. Any tips/ advise please.

I found the same 20 odd years ago, so thought wild. I changed to rain water and they drank. They can hold their heads under the water a long time. And its scary, as you think they will drown:0)

I did try that after you mentioned it to me before and still they won't drink.
Mosedale

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Mosedale wrote:
Sandy wrote:

I did try that after you mentioned it to me before and still they won't drink.

Tortoises dont drink every day, they drink when they need too. Even after I started using rain water it took weeks before I saw them drink. They will drink sometimes when bathing. But the best time to see them for definite is when they hatch:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby ejs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm

I have been told that torts will also drink through their cloaca, so you would not notice this. Provided you bathe your tort regularly they are apparently intelligent enough to drink if they need to via this method or by mouth. I also give my tort cucumber (skinned) if ever I am concerned that she may be dehydrated. This I a packed with water but has little nutritional value.
ejs

Postby Avatar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 am

Not just cloaca, I have been told that they can drink through their skin. A regular daily bath can help to keep them hydrated.
They don't drink every day and they do drink when they feel they need to. Always check for any signs for dehydration and this can give you clues if they are dehydrated.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/nursing.html
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Avatar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

Not just cloaca, I have been told that they can drink through their skin. A regular daily bath can help to keep them hydrated.
They don't drink every day and they do drink when they feel they need to. Always check for any signs for dehydration and this can give you clues if they are dehydrated.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/nursing.html
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am

Not through the skin, actually.

They can absorb some fluid per cloaca, but is is nowhere near as efficient as orally.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Mosedale » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks.. I shall just assume they will drink when needed and keep bathing daily.
Mosedale

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics