Horsfields query

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Horsfields query

Postby Sue Doxat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 am

Just curious as am just looking after a poorly neglected horsfields tort for a couple of weeks, until can be rehomed when warmed, hydrated and eating properly. He will need to be over wintered. He has slight visible signs of MBD weight is 440 g length 12.5 CMS I realise Jackson's R not appropriate for him. He has clear eyes, clean mouth etc. Without seeing him, any guesses on age for size. He has a long thin tail, but not concave plastron I'm presuming a male.
Sue Doxat

Re: Horsfields query

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:12 am

Sue Doxat wrote:Just curious as am just looking after a poorly neglected horsfields tort for a couple of weeks, until can be rehomed when warmed, hydrated and eating properly. He will need to be over wintered. He has slight visible signs of MBD weight is 440 g length 12.5 CMS I realise Jackson's R not appropriate for him. He has clear eyes, clean mouth etc. Without seeing him, any guesses on age for size. He has a long thin tail, but not concave plastron I'm presuming a male.

Does it really matter about the age of the tortoise?
As what is, is. I would say its more important he is healthy and doing well:0)
It cant be changed so doing things correctly from now on is what is needed:0)
Sounds like you are doing a great job:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Sue Doxat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Sandy as you say not important , but for better understanding for myself. I wanted to be able to guess if had fast growth which contributed to the MBD or if average for age and presumed male gender. I hope I don't fall in love with him before he is rehomed, don't want to make Ernie tortoise jeoulous. It would be nice to be able to admire this one while Ernie snoozes through winter.
Sue Doxat

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Sue Doxat wrote:Thanks Sandy as you say not important , but for better understanding for myself. I wanted to be able to guess if had fast growth which contributed to the MBD or if average for age and presumed male gender. I hope I don't fall in love with him before he is rehomed, don't want to make Ernie tortoise jeoulous. It would be nice to be able to admire this one while Ernie snoozes through winter.

Posting a picture might help us to help you:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby carmalee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 pm

agree with Sandy - if he seems to be doing well under your care -without previous info then all you can do is help him out as you seem to be doing very well! Horsefields are toughies
carmalee

Postby Sue Doxat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Thank you for response, he was just cold and dehydrated I think. He's eating well now, loves evening primrose his face was all yellow and he had bright beady eyes with a cheeky grin, or did I imagine that bit? He has been moving his "tunnels and hides around" as though moving house, all safe no worries,
Sue Doxat

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics