Viral Diseases - Beware

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Re: Viral Diseases - Beware

Postby Nadine Highfield » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:11 pm

AH that's a thought, stop the birds, snails and slugs as well.
It's never ending really is it. There are so many ways that these things can be transferred.
I know of 4 tortoise people in my area so a bird going from one area to another could cause problems.
mmmmmmmmmm so much to consider.

This is one reason why we suggest that you keep adequate space between separate groups of tortoises. It will greatly minimise the chance that a slug, a fly or a bird would travel from one pen to another. The higher risk the animals are (ie., pet shop rescues, those with unknown history) the further they should be kept from your captive bred tortoises and others that you have had for many years.

When I have tortoises that are ill or high risk come in, I keep them on a separate area of the property to prevent any transmission of disease to my other tortoises. If you maintain an adequate distance between them and be careful with your hygiene and handling between groups, you will greatly minimise the chance that a disease could spread throughout your collection. Mesh tops can be used over smaller outdoor pens.

If we have seized or rescued tortoises come in that are ill or high-risk, particularly fruit-eating species that attract flies, I may also use an electronic fly zapper indoors to prevent flies from spreading anything to our other tortoises. I keep the cats out by enclosing the our table top units with wire mesh.

It's good to consider the possibilities so you can put things in place to minimise the risks they may present.

Nadine Highfield
Nadine Highfield

Postby Laraine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 am

One way to prevent movement of slugs and snails between enclosures is to use Limestone gravel as a path around/between the enclosures, they cant cross the stuff. For some reason it also works with ants.
Laraine
Laraine

Postby Jonesy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am

Wow :o I didn't know that, that's a great tip. I know that you can use broken shells and they won't cross that.
great info.
Linda 8-)
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby weeg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am

wonder if the lime burns them, or just clogs them up ?

I find coarse gravel works here, infact any gravel will stop them as they dont like sliding on the surface. copper strips on top of pen would work but could be costly. Just a thought !

Gordon
weeg

Postby therocklady » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:26 am

Hello Andy
have sent you a pm re viruses.
Cheers, Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:10 am

Hi Karen,

Sorry - I missed that as my inbox was clogged up. I will get back to you later today when I am back in the office.
Tortoise Trust

Postby therocklady » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 am

Hello Andy, sent you a pm on your reply.
Kind regards
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Previous

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics