Tortoise Ear Abscess poll

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

Have you ever had a tortoise develop an ear abscess

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 104

Tortoise Ear Abscess poll

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

This is just an attempt to get a bit more background on this topic and its prevalence among members.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Tortoise Ear Abscess poll

Postby Sue Doxat » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 pm

No Sue D
Sue Doxat

Postby Graham Ray » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Sue when you log in on this topic theres a key you can press and register your answer.!!!!
Please consider the environment before printing this post!!

Graham.
Graham Ray

Postby johng » Thu May 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I had to take one of my Iberians to the vets today and she had an Abscess in both ears.
You would not believe the amount of yellow wax like stuff that the vet got out.
The vet gave her a vitamin A injection and an antibiotic injection.
I now have to inject her every three days with Antibiotics for three weeks then back to the vets for a check up.
My vet told me it used to be reasonably common but mine was the first she had seen in two years and she sees a lot of tortoise.

John
Cheers John
2.0 Spur-thigh Tortoise (Testuda graeca Iberica)
1.2 Hingeback Tortoise (Kinixys belliana nogueyi)
1.1 Hingeback Tortoise (Kinixys erosa)
& Lots of snakes.
0.1Uromastyx acanthinurum
1.1 Painted agamas
johng

Postby TheFords » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:28 pm

How can I treat an ear abscess. Does it mean a trip to the Vet. Our local Vet does not treat tortoises. I live in the Almeria region of Spain and believe there is a tortoise sanctuary nearby. Does anyone have a contact number or address please.
TheFords

Postby therocklady » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 pm

One of my 6-year old female Iberas had a small ear abscess which was operated on last Thursday, and she is recovering nicely and eating like a horse.
From what I've read, abscesses may be caused through lack of vitamins, but all my young torts get Nutrobal twice a week and the older torts get Arkvits, cuttlefish in their enclosures, and limestone flour weekly, as well as being fed on a large range of weeds, home grown salad, pre-alpin and a mixture of dried rose-petals, mallow, plantain etc. They all have basking lamps in their outdoor enclosures, as well as indoors in the greenhouse in the winter. Might there be another cause of abscesses? Clearly it's a husbandry issue, so any direction gratefully received.
Do wild torts get abscesses too?
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun May 11, 2014 11:25 pm

therocklady wrote:One of my 6-year old female Iberas had a small ear abscess which was operated on last Thursday, and she is recovering nicely and eating like a horse.
From what I've read, abscesses may be caused through lack of vitamins, but all my young torts get Nutrobal twice a week and the older torts get Arkvits, cuttlefish in their enclosures, and limestone flour weekly, as well as being fed on a large range of weeds, home grown salad, pre-alpin and a mixture of dried rose-petals, mallow, plantain etc. They all have basking lamps in their outdoor enclosures, as well as indoors in the greenhouse in the winter. Might there be another cause of abscesses? Clearly it's a husbandry issue, so any direction gratefully received.
Do wild torts get abscesses too?
Karen

I do not feel vitamins have anything to do with it.

All the cases we have seen and all of the lab analyses we have had done suggest most cases are related to bacterial contamination of a grazing area, bird faeces, dog/cat droppings, etc. Tortoises feeding under trees where birds rest is one common strand we have identified.
Tortoise Trust

Postby therocklady » Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks Andy, all the tort enclosures are overhung by at least one tree, and we do get a very large number of birds in our garden. We have dogs, but they are not allowed near the torts, and no cats live anywhere near. We have hedgehogs though, and rabbits are a nuisance here. There's not much I can do about the bird situation, we are in the middle of nowhere, and even without the local birds, seasonally there are flocks of starlings, swallows, gold-finches etc swooping all about the place. The collar dove and woodpidgeon poo is easy to collect daily when cleaning the enclosures, but the other stuff, well most of it I can't see as its too small and it wouldn't be practical. I will though, thoroughly wash all the weeds I collect, as that may help.
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 am

We have been collecting data on this for about 7 years now - and ground/water contamination with bird faeces has emerged as a very common factor indeed. In fact, the one thing in common more cases have than everything else put together.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics