Tortoise in Kenya -- ID?

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Re: Tortoise in Kenya -- ID?

Postby Nina » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks, Stuart! I'll ask for some more photos of the shell, showing where the hinge (probably) is. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this tortoise doesn't share a habitat with a Leopard tortoise (I would certainly never enourage different species being kept together). From about 2009 - 2014 they lived in another house in Nairobi, and there was a Leopard tortoise that lived in the garden there -- he just came and went as he pleased -- and he was already living in the garden when they rented the house. Then in 2015 they moved to Jordan for a couple of years and just moved back to Nairobi after Christmas. They're in a different house now and the Hngeback appeared a couple of days after they moved in.

They do have a good variety of wildlife in their garden, including lots of Sykes and Vervet monkeys, so they are well entertained!

I've attached a photo of Tortuga, the Leopard tortoise, with my grandson, Leo.

Nina
IMG_9854 (Copy).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nina

Postby Stuart » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 pm

That's an impressive leopard tortoise! No, I wasn't suggesting the two species shared the same accommodation. I was just remarking on their proximity geographically - something I hadn't realised.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Nina » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Hmm, this is interesting. I know that Leopard torts are distributed widely over East Africa, and I've seen them in other places in Kenya. When I looked up Hinge-backs, the BCG sheet on them
http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/ ... ets/hinges
does indicate that Bell's hinge-back is found in western Kenya, but also that the Speke's Hinge-back can be found in Kenya. The other thing of course is that this is a populated area (although not densely populated), and it is entirely possible that someone who lived in the area picked this tortoise up somewhere else and brought him home, and then he escaped.

Nina
Nina

Previous

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History