ID Please

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

ID Please

Postby Nina » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm

We have been sent this photo of a tortoise that is currently in hibernation, and we are a bit unsure of its species ID. All we know is that it is well over 25 years of age. No more photos can be taken until it wakes up, but can anyone ID the species from this photo?
Many thanks
Nina (from The Tortoise Table)
Spiff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nina

Re: ID Please

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Nina wrote:We have been sent this photo of a tortoise that is currently in hibernation, and we are a bit unsure of its species ID. All we know is that it is well over 25 years of age. No more photos can be taken until it wakes up, but can anyone ID the species from this photo?
Many thanks
Nina (from The Tortoise Table)
Spiff.jpg

Hi Nina
My guess would be an old hermans if it has the spur on the tail:0)
A picture of the plastron might help more:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Nina » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks, Sandy. Yes we thought that more photos would be a great help, but we can't get them for a while, and this tortoise is wanting a new home soon (it has been in hibernation since late September, so waking it up soon won't do any harm), and we wanted to get the ball rolling, as the previous owner has passed away. I think an old Hermanns is a good guess, but if anyone feels more positive about an ID from this photo alone, it would be welcome.
Nina

Postby tortydat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm

I agree with Sandy an elderly Hermann. Mary
tortydat

Postby Nina » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks so much, Mary and Sandy! With both of you giving a Hermanns ID, that is two experts with the same conclusion, and we are very grateful. So Hermanns it is!
Many thanks to you both.

Nina
Nina

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History