Location recommendations for wild habitats

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Location recommendations for wild habitats

Postby Tortoisekeeper24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 am

Hi there,
I'm wondering if there are any members here would be willing to share precise locations for observing tortoises in the wild? I'm a keeper of graeca's so intend to visit Southern Spain next spring, possibly North Africa also. I have read many field reports from other keepers, biologists and naturalists and of course those by the TT but these only give a rough location as to where their observations have taken place. I understand there is the concern of putting tortoise locations out into the public domain, with many dodgy individuals who may remove them from their habitats but my intention is purely for observation purposes, to collect data on local flora, temperature, humidity, UV readings etc. This data would be invaluable to me for replicating a wild habitat back home and generally getting a 'feel' for where my tortoises naturally exist.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated so I can plan my travels, I have a rough plan but really would benefit from specific locations.

I'm more than happy to discuss in private via PM/ email, so you can get to know me and my genuine desire to broaden my understanding of these unique creatures before giving out any information. I have tried to contact a few organisations in Europe, biologists, national parks etc but I'm either met with 'it's not possible' or I'm simply ignored.

Many thanks for your time. Josh.
Tortoisekeeper24

Re: Location recommendations for wild habitats

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am

Contact me directly. Check the LORCA - MOJACAR - VERA areas on the map. That is where I am located and have been monitoring populations here for 9 years now.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History