How would you indentify them?

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Re: How would you indentify them?

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Pawciorc wrote:Next time I will take closer pics to show you the growth. I have seen many torts and mine really look ok. The weight 18-20 was when i got them- 3 months old.
But now I am worried about the deformity you mentioned. Where exactly can you see that on my picture?

You can see ridges forming around each scute, its not drastic at this stage, but if it carries on it will be.
Its not easy getting them really smooth, but getting the diet and husbandry correct can stop any more damage being done.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Pawciorc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Natural diet, sun, humidity, everyday soaking. What else can be done? I cannot imagine a better husbandry for them.
Anyway, I am worried aboit the deforation mentioned before. Which one is deformed?
Pawciorc

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Pawciorc wrote:Natural diet, sun, humidity, everyday soaking. What else can be done? I cannot imagine a better husbandry for them.
Anyway, I am worried aboit the deforation mentioned before. Which one is deformed?

In the last picture you have put up, I can see the starts of pyramiding on all but the middle top one. This tortoise is at the wrong angle to tell.
As I said its not drastic but if left will get worse.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Pawciorc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:33 pm

What else can be done besides what I mentioned I provided to them???
Pawciorc

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 am

It is not just a matter of the right diet, but how MUCH they eat. In the wild, they have a cyclic feeding pattern with 'rest' periods between....

More food = more growth

Rapid growth = more difficult to prevent MDB.

They also eat a VERY low digestibility diet in the wild... not fresh, green all the time.

Lots of info on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4746

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5135
Tortoise Trust

Previous

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History