Male or Female

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Re: Male or Female

Postby ClaireO » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi everyone,
Nina kindly started this thread on my behalf, I took this tortoise in 2 weeks ago. I realy appreciate all your input. I think he/she has been constipated, we have added some aloe vera to munch on. It only seems to drink when having a bath, so I'll bathe daily for a bit to keep hydrated. The water dish in the run seems to be more of a foot spa!! Im quite sure there was a trumpet-like show in the bath today, but no camera to catch it! Would it be ok to post on here if I do get a picture? Despite my best google-ing, I am yet to get it clear in my mind how male/ female torty organs are distinguished.

Many thanks,
Claire.
ClaireO

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi Claire
Well done for taking care of this one,have you got a good tort vet :?:
Male reproduction organ picture for you.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby massimiliano » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 pm

With a lot of modesty, I disagree with mr Andy. I think it's a male.
massimiliano

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 am

It could be. I am honestly not 100% on this one. The BODY SHAPE is suggestive of a male, but the tail is certainly closer to what I'd expect from a female. Some are not easy to tell.. this is one of them. When walking along, if the tail is tucked in sideways, that is a good indication of male, but not shown in these photos.
Tortoise Trust

Postby massimiliano » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree tail is uncertain, but the angle of scales above tail in wide, so I think male .
massimiliano

Postby ClaireO » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Thank you all for your contributions. Our friend seems to be settling in, seems very sociable and inquisitive! No poo for a week, I am giving daily baths still to keep hydrated. He is enjoying dandelions leaves, lambs lettuce and occasional aloe Vera (thanks to Nina for the suggestion) I don't mean to put a cat amongst the pigeons, but I wonder if he is male after all our discussions. I am going to try and attach a photo of what he frequently shows in his bath, unfortunately I am not a great smartphone photographer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClaireO

Postby massimiliano » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:43 pm

no more doubt...it's a male. what he shows is ..his male attribute
massimiliano

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Agreed. No room for doubt at all now.

:lol:
Tortoise Trust

Postby ClaireO » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm pleased you have confirmed, he certainly is proud to be a male!!
have a good weekend,
Claire.
ClaireO

Postby ClaireO » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi guys, It turns out Nina's suspicion's were right:I have found out that the poor chap had an encounter with a Lawn Mower!!! And lost part of his tail some years ago. I think that is enough drama for one tortoise's life time. He is doing well, so happy when he can get outside in the sunshine.

Claire.
ClaireO

PreviousNext

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History