Whitei

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Whitei

Postby petal1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi all I am a newbie and this is my first post. I have inherited a 70 year old tortoise who I am reliably assured is a very healthy male Whitei. Because his owner died suddenly I have little information about him or his previous care so as a total novice tortoise owner I want to learn how to do the very best I can for him. I have a very safe secure 30' square garden which is half grass and half concrete and has constant sun and shade areas throughout the day but it is flat and boring and as I am no gardener there are no plants or weeds whatsoever. I have provided hides and he has free run outside all day and currently I forage for natural weeds out and about but I have to stick to the more easily identifiable ones and would like to grow a variety and make the garden more interesting and natural for him. In addition and whilst my weeds are getting established is there anything I can buy to ensure he gets a daily diet of everything he needs. He has settled in very well and is a real character, I am totally smitten but there is so much confusing advice on the internet about tortoise care, diet and pre prepared foods so I would be very grateful for any advice and tips. Many thanks in advance :D
petal1

Re: Whitei

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 am

petal1 wrote:Hi all I am a newbie and this is my first post. I have inherited a 70 year old tortoise who I am reliably assured is a very healthy male Whitei. Because his owner died suddenly I have little information about him or his previous care so as a total novice tortoise owner I want to learn how to do the very best I can for him. I have a very safe secure 30' square garden which is half grass and half concrete and has constant sun and shade areas throughout the day but it is flat and boring and as I am no gardener there are no plants or weeds whatsoever. I have provided hides and he has free run outside all day and currently I forage for natural weeds out and about but I have to stick to the more easily identifiable ones and would like to grow a variety and make the garden more interesting and natural for him. In addition and whilst my weeds are getting established is there anything I can buy to ensure he gets a daily diet of everything he needs. He has settled in very well and is a real character, I am totally smitten but there is so much confusing advice on the internet about tortoise care, diet and pre prepared foods so I would be very grateful for any advice and tips. Many thanks in advance :D

Firstly if you are a keen gardener, and use chemicals on your garden, then don't feed any thing from it to the tortoise, as it can harm your tortoise.
The tortoise trust has a mother site with lots of useful info.
Also www,tortoises.net has a wonderful list with pictures of suitable plants for tortoises, along with other great info as has www.thetortoisehouse.com
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby petal1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks Sandy
I am not a gardener :0( The lawn has been just kept short by mowing no pesticides or fertilizer has ever been used so no worries there. Just need to actually plant some suitable weeds :0)
petal1

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:38 am

It's not only weeds that are edible for tortoises. Have a look at this site which has a excellent information on plants and weeds. It's good for identifying anything you are not sure of the name of!

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site ... home_1.asp
Joan

Postby petal1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:56 am

Thank you Joan very clear pictures - perfect!
petal1

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History