Can I separate my tortoises ?

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Can I separate my tortoises ?

Postby shannster » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am

I received three tortoises about 5 months ago they appear to be somewhere from 20-40 years old and they are desert tortoises . 2 of them are boys and one is a female . I plan to give one away to my aunt and I was planning on giving away the female . I was planning this because the males seem to bite her sometimes and so I feel that she would be better off alone . I am not certain that I will do this because I have a few questions that I desperately need answered.
Is it ok to superset tortoises who have loved together for many years?
Do tortoises become lonely or are they solitary creatures?
Would it be better to have one female and one male or two males ?
shannster

Re: Can I separate my tortoises ?

Postby Joan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:46 am

shannster wrote:I received three tortoises about 5 months ago they appear to be somewhere from 20-40 years old and they are desert tortoises . 2 of them are boys and one is a female . I plan to give one away to my aunt and I was planning on giving away the female . I was planning this because the males seem to bite her sometimes and so I feel that she would be better off alone . I am not certain that I will do this because I have a few questions that I desperately need answered.
Is it ok to superset tortoises who have loved together for many years?
Do tortoises become lonely or are they solitary creatures?
Would it be better to have one female and one male or two males ?

Welcome to the forum shannster!

Are you sure they are two males and a female as males can sometimes fight and may bite each other? If you are not certain post some clear photos so that we can establish what sex they are.
Joan

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:31 pm

In principle, tortoises can (and in some cases possibly should?) be kept separately. Whilst some species seem to get along well in a small - or even large - groups in captivity, in the wild they live in wide-ranging territories and have little to do with each other apart from mating. So keeping them on their own is OK.

As for gender mix, it's better (for the females) to have one male to two or more females.
in single sex groups, females tend to get on better together than would a group of males.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Stuart wrote:In principle, tortoises can (and in some cases possibly should?) be kept separately. Whilst some species seem to get along well in a small - or even large - groups in captivity, in the wild they live in wide-ranging territories and have little to do with each other apart from mating. So keeping them on their own is OK.

As for gender mix, it's better (for the females) to have one male to two or more females.
in single sex groups, females tend to get on better together than would a group of males.

With graceas I kept males together with no problems.
With Iberas again my males are fine either way, I have run two male with ten females and they were fine too.
I personally have never had female fight, but I might be lucky:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 pm

First, some photos would help a lot.

Also, not all tortoises have identical personalities. Some are fine.. some are not... so your observations are equally important. Finally, yes - some do seem to "bond" and if that is the case, I would not separate those.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Contra to what I wrote above, my two male iberas seem to be getting on ok at the moment: in the last week the juvenile has twice climbed the barrier between their compounds (I put him back the first time) apparently to be with the older one. I separated them at the beginning of the season because the little one was being bashed about by his senior. I'll obviously do so again if there's trouble.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby shannster » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Yes I'm certain that two are males and one is female . Because two have concave under shells and one has a flat under shell . Although I'm not entirely sure what type of tortoises they are . I will open a separate thread soon with pictures and more questions . Thank you all for the quick help that is so amazingly helpful that there is a tortoise people community . I'm still unsure on separating them but as of now I am going to give the girl to my aunt and keep the two boys because they seem to get along fine but both seem to pick on the girl seperetly. I'm just worried that the girl will become lonely loving by herself after living with other tortoises for so long ? Is this possible that she will become lonely from bieng seperated?
shannster

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History