Need an ID confirmed.

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Need an ID confirmed.

Postby Tafidler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:34 am

image.jpg
image.jpg
This is Leo, I'm calling him a him and not a her because I'm hoping for a him. Anyhow we saved him before his demise of the pet store tank. We got him from a guy who got two from a breeder and he only wanted to keep one. The other sibling supposedly his dome wasn't nearly as high as Leo's and not nearly as vibrant with colors. Anyhow, the guy said the breeder informed him that it was a Russian. Ok...well the more books we have been reading and the more we've been searching were second guessing that call of him being a Rusian. We acquired Leo in March and was told then he was about 3months old then so he's approx 7 - 8 months old according to the breeder. What I'm asking is, for a definite ID, I'd like a sexing but like always, a little early for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tafidler

Re: Need an ID confirmed.

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:48 am

Good name, Leo.

Especially for a Leopard tortoise (Geochelone pardalis).
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tafidler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 am

A leopard?? Really? No disrespect but does Andy concur? I just can't believe that the breeder was that ignorant.
Tafidler

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Tafidler wrote: ... we saved him before his demise of the pet store tank. We got him from a guy who ... said the breeder informed him that it was a Russian. ... He's approx 7 - 8 months old according to the breeder...

Well, let's say that the pet store guy has made a few mistakes in remembering where he got this tortoise from. Sounds like he was keen to sell, telling you that this one is higher domed and more brightly coloured than the other one.

The alternative is that the breeder doesn't know what he was breeding. Which is worrying!

Further research on the main TT website ( www.tortoisetrust.org ) will reveal that their lifestyle and therefore husbandry requirements are quite different. Not least in the fact that leopard tortoises don't hibernate!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tafidler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:36 pm

So there's no chance he could be a Greek?
Tafidler

Postby Tafidler » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:13 am

Is it a definite that he is a leopard, his size is small for being 7 months old?
Tafidler

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:24 am

Tafidler wrote:A leopard?? Really? No disrespect but does Andy concur? I just can't believe that the breeder was that ignorant.

Let's just say that if the day ever arrives when I cannot tell a Leopard tortoise from a Russian or Mediterranean tortoise with 100% certainty that is the day I will know to call it a day and give up.

Look familiar?

Some we bred ourselves about 15 years ago.

Andy (Highfield)
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:50 am

Tafidler wrote:A leopard?? Really? No disrespect but does Andy concur? I can't believe the breeder was that ignorant...

It was Andy who ID-ed it!

And as I've written (above) if it wasn't the breeder, then the retailer has got a bit mixed-up (and/or unfortunately doesn't know what he's selling)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:52 am

Tafidler wrote:Is it a definite that he is a leopard, his size is small for being 7 months old?

Except that you don't know how reliable is the information about its age, given the unreliability of the information regarding its species.

Anyway, the important thing is that you now know what you've got, and can plan and provide appropriately - or, if you think you won't be able to keep it, return it to the retailer as being mis-sold to you.
You need to know that they grow big, require year-round high b/g temperatures, and like all tortoises, as much UV as you can provide them.
Diet is easier than with mediterranean tortoises though - predominantly grasses and hays (although they appreciate the range of weeds you'd provide for a "greek").
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History