what colours do tortoises see?

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

what colours do tortoises see?

Postby schildkroetenfan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:20 am

Hia,
I am wondering why my tortoise does not eat the red Hibiscus flowers and only eats the orange ones. Do they have anything against red in general? Which got me thinking what colour spectrum do they see? Do they view the world in black and white or have they got similar vision than we have?
schildkroetenfan

Re: what colours do tortoises see?

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

schildkroetenfan wrote:Hia,
I am wondering why my tortoise does not eat the red Hibiscus flowers and only eats the orange ones. Do they have anything against red in general? Which got me thinking what colour spectrum do they see? Do they view the world in black and white or have they got similar vision than we have?

Mine will only eat white ones if there is nothing else:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm fairly confident they can see yellow...unless they choose the flowers of dandelion, sow thistle and other yellow-flowering plants because they're flowers... ?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Joan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 pm

In my younger days I found that tortoises loved red toenails!
Joan

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Joan wrote:

In my younger days I found that tortoises loved red toenails!

They also like plain toes too:0)
Must be the lovely smell of feet:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History