Abandoned tortoise-please help identify

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Abandoned tortoise-please help identify

Postby Brown Owl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 pm

This tortoise was abandoned in my garden while I was away - its previous history is unknown and the previous owner has, I've been told, moved away .... sadly not unusual for this part of the world I understand. I already have Turbo, who was found trying to cross a busy road 18 months ago and given to me when his owner couldn't be found. You kindly told me he was a 40 year old testudo graeca graeca and he is doing well, active, eating and very sociable with people. The new tort looks like he's had a rough time (the white area on his carapace is hard and looks like it is something that has been stuck on to him) but he is quite a sprinter when he is awake. He and Turbo have been sharing the same cool, shady sandy area of the garden in their respective scrapes during the heat of the day and so far I've not seen any aggression between them, even when there is food around. The new guy is reluctant to eat the rehydrated cobs (he has had a little lettuce) and has access to water and whats left in the garden after the heat of the UAE summer. The garden is large and secure with lots of shade and hiding places for them. The new guy measures 16.5cms (plastron) and currently weighs 881g. Please can you identify this new tortoise and advise whether I should try and keep the two of them - if they seem to be getting on? (Sorry I can't rotate the photos - they go the right way round when clicked on :? ) Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brown Owl

Re: Abandoned tortoise-please help identify

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:47 am

This is another Testudo graeca graeca - one that has survived a very severe fire in the distant past, That white stuff is burnt bone.... the keratin is fused and has regenerated. A very classic case of near total shell regeneration!

They can stay together.

Nice tortoise with quite a history.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Brown Owl » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks Andy
Is his dark shell due to fire damage or just colour variation? He seems old - any idea how old?
Really sad to think he's had such a rough time. He will be safe with me.
Thanks
Mandy
Brown Owl

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Mandy,

Yes. That is all fire damage.

Very hard to say age with accuracy due to the extensive burned areas, but going by the undamaged bits, I'd say 30-40 years.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History