Snow... and some very cold tortoises

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

Re: Snow... and some very cold tortoises

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:35 pm

No.

Nothing. Just the sun!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Anita Sayles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Ok thanks :)
I am slowly gaining in confidence with outside temps...
This morning when I put Marley in his coldframe the temp inside was 8.9 deg. He was up and about on his table from around 6.30am so I gave him a bath before I went to work. I left the house at 7.45 and just before I went I put him in his coldframe.
The weather forecast was 15 deg and sunny here today and I knew the sun would be in the cold frame area in about an hour from when I left. I don't know how warm the coldframe got today but when I got home about 3.30pm he was in the outside area walking around.
I'm so pleased I bought him the coldframe for this year as I think it will really extend his 'outside time'.
I don't think I would have put him out this morning without reading your recent threads, thank you for posting them :)
Anita

Complete newbie, your patience is appreciated!
Be young, be foolish, but be happy... Life is too short to worry about unimportant things. Reach for the sky, touch your star, and then you find your dream. The Tams - 1965
Anita Sayles

Postby Matthew_Cox » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for the link Andy.
Will be implementing this into my outdoor enclosure.
Many thanks

Matthew Cox
Matthew Cox :)
Matthew_Cox

Postby sprakey34 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi Andy, could I ask what temps your poly tunnel got to in the height of Summer in Wales? I know that a glass greenhouse can still get extremely hot even with door and roof vent open and was wondering if polytunnels were similar. Were the ends open?
Thanks Meriel.
sprakey34

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:13 am

We could open or close them, in fact. Mostly we had them closed or just partly open. Peak temperatures in there in summer were around 33-34 C as I recall. Tortoises would dig down and estivate in very hot weather, which is exactly what they do in the wild. It was never as hot in there as it gets out here, that's for sure... from 11 am to around 4.00 pm it is seriously hot here right now.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 am

Hi
I would love to use the poly tunnel, but I know my two would stay in there all day, and would not get any UV, so how do I make sure that does not happen? apart from physically taking them out, which would be hard to do as I work full time.

Jane H
Jane H
2 Hermans Boettgeri
Cat
2 Rabbits Dutch/Lops
Husband: converted tortoise lover
Mollies, Guppies, Corydora's & Gourami's
Tortoise7

Postby marcusgribble » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 pm

I only tend to feed them outside, scatter weeds from their door and around the garden.

Marcus
1 male & 3 females Hermanni Boettgeri, 1 hatchling thb & 5 eggs
marcusgribble

Postby Tortoise7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks, that makes sense
Jane H
Jane H
2 Hermans Boettgeri
Cat
2 Rabbits Dutch/Lops
Husband: converted tortoise lover
Mollies, Guppies, Corydora's & Gourami's
Tortoise7

Postby jan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:44 pm

I love your video Andy. I was wondering if you were able to take your 'Welsh' tortoises with you to Spain? If not, it must have been very hard to part with them.

Jan
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
Albert Einstein
jan

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 am

Jan,

By the time we moved, we only had a few, as we rehomed the majority between 2005 (when Jill passed away) and 2009 when we made the decision to concentrate on the field-work here in Spain. Those special tortoises that we had kept did indeed come with us and they now live like (almost) wild tortoises. They are doing very well and enjoying the sun!

Regarding UVB in polytunnels... the key thing is that you need both UVB and suitable temperatures with reptiles to kick-start the previtamin-D to D3 conversion, so this is not easy in northern latitudes. UV-B alone will not do it.

One effective solution is to have access out to a mini-cloche type structure, with a special UVB transmitting plastic roof, for example:

http://www.plasticstockist.com/Sunbed-G ... Sheet.aspx

This is expensive stuff... but, you really only need a fairly small unit. Also, this is most critical for hatchlings and juveniles, of course. We did not have this at the time, but if I was doing it now, I would.

What we did was have them outside as much as possible, and we used Nutrobal (calcium +d3) daily. That also seemed to work very well.
Tortoise Trust

PreviousNext

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History