"True Russian" Tortoises ;)

Post your identification, classification, and natural history questions and field reports here.

"True Russian" Tortoises ;)

Postby O`Donnell » Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 am

Hello, colleagues! Wasn`t able to be online for some time, maybe - some photos done through this absence will be interesting for somebody.

Testudo ibera nikolskii, Novorossiysk region
Three years old kid:

Typical habitat - relic mountain steppe:
These slopes in 1930-s were cruelly raped - artificially terraced for plantings of Crimean pine :x But the "alien" pine dies out, now we can again see here sessile and pubescent oaks, mountain morph of common hornbeam, smoke tree and magnificent Caucasian motley grass:

Beautiful adult female:

One more:

"Widely known in narrow circles" ;) tortoise keeper Alexandr Popov (without him - some activity concerning tortoise rescue, adaptation and worthy rehoming in our region would be impossible):
(only while watching a photo - I noticed a snail on a branch at the left; it is an endemic, too - Stenomphalia ravergiensis)
- and. yours sincerely - Alex :D :

And this tortoise - was in trouble: it was gnawed obviously by a dog:
At first the predator tried to crack her with the dome of carapace inside its mouth:
. then - from the side:
We appeared in due time in the right place: found her lying on a back right in the sun, strongly overheated and with ants in the wounds. Went for reanimation, we`ll return her to nature together with 2 adult tortoises of this locality, confiscated on a local market last year (the official response from Rosprirodnadzor - our nature protection department - on my application on this case - scanned here: http://cherepahi.ru/tforum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=340)

Your press photographers: Andrey Vodyanoy & Alexey Chusov (O`Donnell):
To be continiued ;)
O`Donnell

Re: "True Russian" Tortoises ;)

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 am

WONDERFUL!

More please, Alex! :D

I wondered for a long time about that habitat. Very, very interesting to compare with T. ibera habitats in Turkey. This appears to have a lot more grass content in the vegetation. What were the temperatures like?
Tortoise Trust

Postby lorna » Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am

Really interesting, thank you. And beautiful countryside. What are the winters like?

Lorna
lorna

Postby Daryn » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 am

Real brilliant thanks for sharing, its great seeing the natural habitat and I look forward to reading more
Daryn the happy geordie

http://www.majorcaforum.com/ my pride and joy travel site and forum
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
Daryn
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby massimiliano » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am

always beautiful to see testudo in the wild. good job.
massimiliano

Postby CactusVinnie » Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 am

Great job, Alex!!

I also had a very interesting week- it paid 2 native Ibera reaching my home! An adult full-grown female and an adult male, but only about 15 cm.
Story: last Saturday we had a few classes at the school, to compensate Friday, 3 of Mai, wich was free. Of course, not many children there, and I had only 2 hours to teach- quite a bad business to go that far for an almost student-less day... so, I took with me an Emys male that I received from someone and said at least to release him, since a lake was at short time close to the school, and make that day useful at least for him.
I showed the turtle to the kids, and a girl said to me that she has a bigger and quite diferent one back home. She was found by a neighbour roaming on a street, and given to them. No poaching, since these are very poor people, and a habitat trip is out of question. It proven to be that nice female, in very good shape- so, she probably escaped and lived in fields nearby before being caught by their neighbour. They were happy to give her to me.
Another girl said that a friend of her has a tortoise too, but never seen it. I asked her to give them my phone number to discuss, and try to convince them to give her to me for my mini-breeding program. No call received, but Wednesday the girl waited for me and we talked about. She said that the gentleman has a small store right few streets away, and we went there. He wanted to release the tortoise since his dogs attacked it twice, with ugly results :( ... he told me that it may originate in the Macin Mts., being received from someone that was in that region last year. Looked for the tortoise quite a while in the yard, and finally found it- a healthy male with lots of healing wounds- he hibernated outdoors, and I think it was a miracle that he survived a winter with such wounds...
Back home, he immediatelly attacked my females, and getting a bleeding plastron due to his funny temptatives to mount the larger females... proving that the repairing callus was not so hard. Well, obviously put him in a separate enclosure, to temperate his self-destructive will for accomplishing his duty for the species :lol: .

Not bad for a week, saving 2 captives, and offering them the chance to breed again for their kin :D !
Fabian

http://www.coldhardycacti.freehosting.net
Testudo ibera
Testudo hermanni boettgeri
Testudo horsfieldi
Sternotherus carinatus
Sternotherus odoratus
Chrysemys picta picta
Apalone spinifer
CactusVinnie

Postby massimiliano » Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 pm

just to understand: t.g. nikolskii is very similar to t g ibera to my eyes.
there is some specific feature that allows a clear distinction between these two groups?
massimiliano

Postby O`Donnell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 am

The taxa T.g. nikolskii -- is "much more ibera than graeca" in live, so we prefer to use T.i. nikolskii. North Caucasus ibera, in fact (Russia. Abkhazia)

They are large guys, I measured over 32cm 11 times -- 32.1-32.3. And very beautiful, some of shots by Igor Torgachkin (http://www.torgachkin.ru/2014/06/testud ... ze-et.html)
O`Donnell

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 am

No doubt it is ibera complex.

Completely different than any of the North African descent tortoises.
Tortoise Trust

Postby O`Donnell » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 pm

(Better late than never :oops: )

The post of hope: Testudo graeca nikolskii laying eggs. Utrish Reserve (Abrau Peninsula)

At least 6 eggs, then she noticed me, and I couldn`t risk disturbing her. Typical habitat: marl, pistachio-juniper-smoketree bushes. Long time since I got such pleasure from walking there :mrgreen:
O`Donnell

Next

Return to Taxonomy, Identification and Natural History