Indian Star tortoises need rescuing

Reports and discussions on all aspects of tortoise and turtle conservation.

Indian Star tortoises need rescuing

Postby Juliet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 am

Not sure if this is something the forum does but I am trying to promote a rescue bid being undertaken by an Indian Wildlife rescue center. They are trying to get $30,000 by 7th October to rescue 60 Indian Star tortoises that have been confiscated by authorities in Singapore. The poor creatures where found in a car boot and the plan is to bring them back to India ( where they belong ) and release them in a reserve to try to keep them safe from future poaching for the pet trade.

This rescue center is particularly for rescue elephants so they seem to be having a bit of trouble getting sufficient support for the rescue although I believe they have raised around $12,000. Its been bothering me that these poor little creatures are stuck and really need to come home.

Can I give the Facebook page for anyone to go to if you feel able to give a donation towards the rescue? It would be amazing to know the torts are safe and well back home in India. The charity name is Wildlife SOS India. Their Facebook page has full details how to donate and also you can follow the progress of the rescue on this Facebook page. You will also get other rescues posted there but the tortoise rescue is dominating at the moment.

So great if even a few people follow this up and give whatever you can so the rescue goes ahead. Indian Star torts are endangered because of poaching for the pet trade and this sort of action will show the poachers they cannot get away with it. Many thanks to anyone who donates
Juliet

Re: Indian Star tortoises need rescuing

Postby Juliet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 am

https://www.facebook.com/wildlifesosindia/

Thought the link would help people find the site and the campaign
Juliet
Juliet

Postby Juliet » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 pm

http://wildlifesos.org/all-star-tortois ... eeks-away/

The latest update from Wildlife SOS trying to get 60 Indian Star tortoises back home to India. They are still quite short of funds so a small plea to anyone of you who could spare a small amount of money to help these beautiful creatures come back to India where they belong. In the wild as well not as the report says with owners who have no clue how to look after them.

Hate asking people to donate money as its such a personal thing for everyone to have that choice but this story has really hit a nerve with me. I look at my two beautiful tortoises and understand the commitment that has to be made and also realise very few people understand how to take care of these creatures. They are always really vulnerable once in captivity and most don't live for long as their needs and care are just not met.

So apologies for the further request for donations but IF you can and IF you want to please do donate and give these 60 endangered tortoises a real chance of a good life in the wild back home in India.

Thank you very very mush to anyone who donates. The smallest amount and any donations do make a huge difference

Thank you
Juliet
Juliet

Postby Juliet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 am

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/starto ... xt&__xts__[0]=68.ARCYoh9YhtbiiZfMYGiIg8eBzCLLq494tAtNLALiitMMbWruFlrRu0ZdqkhX0lEGVS4vEv5iBBUo0kWAr2kqs_DKIgu7WnT-2pFcpYY4VuXbX99RofuTP6PYHiw3cTLoJHXvbaqFoBe3nEMhng5GU-aXKokJkTnmiXY-FidI-w7_NAFH_-QpUQ7Hmok1pW1d2kL5qAqrGTKfpltVbegWNIhMSd_KlzgJHQOMvDWbGPC1RVriW__GKXmCqCZfrLSiJmKr69hJtaRydvYhVZ0pysj8sAeDySl5E5H4begjSXxjksTn6mIP7GMPgL4F7-0b_zzgZZOmUHoXtHMfYQ&__tn__=*NK-R

Hope you can open this anyone who happens to be interested in this repatriation of these glorious tortoises. If for any reason my link to the site doesn't work go onto the Wildlife SOS Facebook page and the story is there.
The torts are coming home. Such great news and I will be following how they get on once back in India.
if anyone did donate to help this repatriation thank you so much. This is such a worthy cause and I know Wildlife SOS will take great care of them they are a great bunch of animal lovers and so devoted to what they do to help out animals in need.

Thank you
Juliet

Postby Juliet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/starto ... AG&__xts__[0]=68.ARBfrQyQY86d3FcRpTlbrU2a6jvVxQEtb4LJNq38IrmJ8fNk2ujNKiLbgzGpsP10ztiCbsDKYw_LCHVLAx2mtHwySSae2qv09UvXJXb2NEvr_6c28qDlBV6sS7h7SwteBqbLKJb_al6hhL7DBdBllSDF7Rxk4Dlx2_pw1hTQSCFQP6Flhv_2t18kLkvjUpXm3Tf_8O1B6Sp-zS-kDOFc-rYEChD4ObzngfxAqTHqxmaWIxdevpaKYXthIzHa_IqlXx8KQgOSEJsiEX2Nkfr0aSwpCCX3jTTjzzMe1FjRCPEVCrcbDdyCnOAabAeAWF2T-8wnbwLzz87XMVkqdg&__tn__=*NK-R

Thought you might like to see the rescued torts re starting their new life back in India. Obviously in quarantine now but hopefully will later be released into a protected sanctuary to live out their years in safety and where they should be.

Hoping as ever my link works but if not do check out their progress on Wildlife SOS on Facebook and once again to any of you who did donate to help this repatriation many many thanks
Juliet

Postby Stuart » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Good to read such good news in these dark days!
It's very sad that some of them are so very pyramided* though.

*I know Stars are allowed to be somewhat pointed, but those shown on the Facebook page are the wrong kind of lumpy.

Great that they're back in their proper environment though.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Just seen this , but what great news !!!... :D
Tracy33

Postby Juliet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:36 pm

https://wildlifesos.org/14536-2/?fbclid ... rx1GjGmwN0

This will be my last post on this topic although I am sure Wildlife SOS will continue to post now and again on their Facebook page on how these beautiful torts are doing. As you can see from this article they have a wonderful compound while they are in quarantine.

Yes I agree Stuart they do not look in wonderful condition. Some of them may have been in captivity for some time and there is no way their captors will have known how to care for them. They were just a means to money for them : ( But now hopefully they can make up for some of the abuse as they will be left to wander free in their native land eating and regulating their lives themselves. Wildlife SOS will monitor them but they will be really on their own living in their reserve in India just as they were meant to be. And importantly protected from being caught again by smugglers.

So for the last time thank you anyone who contributed to their freedom. if you want updates just check on the Wildlife SOS Facebook page they are sure to post updates but I am sure these little torts have got their happy ending and will live out their days peacefully where they should be at home in India and importantly - free. Thank you !
Juliet

Return to Chelonian Conservation