Deportation for tortoise eaters

Reports and discussions on all aspects of tortoise and turtle conservation.

Deportation for tortoise eaters

Postby Stuart » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: Deportation for tortoise eaters

Postby Madtortlady » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 am

'they' are simply disgusting! They'd end up back in China where the torture/killings are just as, or more, brutal! There are several 'petitions' organised on Facebook - one organisation presently involved in trying to stop them selling 'keyrings' filled with some kind of fluid - "nutrients"!!! with fish and little terrapins in - no access to air - only likely to 'live' suffocating - a few days! I think it's something like change.org Often wonder if these petitions have any effect?? Does the Chinese Government even remotely care? now they are a booming economy/making millions from trading with the rest of the world. But it's their 'culture' they say! It's virtually impossible now to 'boycott' buying anything from China!! We don't always know, as items often not labelled. Don't know what we can do?! found this link on Facebook about the 'keyrings'!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-li ... s-in-china
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Postby AliTBimbo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 am

It is awful. Bear bile farming is still legal in China. I'm not sure how much difference these petitions make but I keep signing them.
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
0:0:1 TGI Spur Thigh Baby Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Madtortlady » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes - there are all kinds of animal cruelty in China - all 'legal' there; so very much - one example: skinning of dogs & cats ALIVE! Seen graphic videos of this; also Chinese markets where they saw turtles alive, hammer, chisel! Wrench open the plastron, pull out the viscera, throw turtle on pile behind - still 'gasping for air'; hearts beating! They CAN feel fear/pain! Yet nothing we can do to stop them! Lots of this will be on other forums here.
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 am

One wonders what the implications are for wildlife as Chinese migration into Africa etc develops, and Chinese "if it moves, eat it" culture is also exported....
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Brenda » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Seems to me that in the Chinese culture they treat animals the same as if they were vegetables. Just throw them in a pot and boil them!
It makes me incredibly angry and very very sad.
There must be some Chinese people who care about animals though. They have pets don't they?
Brenda
Brenda

Postby dixon shells » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm

I have accidentely seen some of these videos and they haunt me to this day :-((((
Julie...Spike, Popeye, Olive...Izzy and Moses
dixon shells

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Brenda wrote:There must be some Chinese people who care about animals though. They have pets don't they?
Brenda

Oh yes, of course! Pet markets are very popular, and incredibly stocked with all manner of species of birds, fish, reptiles, dogs etc....Fish, frogs, and hatchling turtles are particularly popular - understandable if one thinks of the crowded living spaces where there may not be room for larger pets. baby turtles and tortoises are on sale in unimaginable quantities (by the bucketful, literally, or washing up bowl or plastic crate): mind-boggling if all one has previously experienced are a few forlorn tortoises/turtles in UK Pets R Us type establishments.

And the Buddhist temples are a safe haven for turtles, which are respected, if not actually revered. But at the same time this is a vast densely populated country, with many hungry mouths. The meat markets offer many of the same turtles that can also be found in the pet markets, ironically, and I suspect that vegetarian Buddhists are in the minority.

Who knows the source of these turtles and tortoises - there must be a massive CF industry behind all this, and maybe illegal WC operations as well - possibly serving both the pet and food markets simultaneously.

But, to be fair, there are doubtless similar ironies/paradoxes here in the UK. Eg a pet rabbit keeper may eat rabbit, and someone with a "pet" chicken may well also eat chicken; and many who will appreciate the sight of newborn lambs in the fields in the next month or so, will later be eating them.....as I've commented before on this topic, difficult though it is for tortoise keepers to cope with the idea of our favourite animals being eaten, really only vegetarians or vegans are in a position to criticise the eating habits of other nations/cultures, although it is true that UK/European slaughterhouses may have more humane methods of despatch than those apparently used in Chinese wet markets, where fish and reptile are on sale alive...and killed at point of sale or taken home to be kept fresh until required...That is an issue on which all of us may legitimately be united in wanting to change/challenge.
(But I think "we" do the same with lobsters?)

Ooops! Sorry. Rant over.
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Daryn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Madtortlady wrote:'they' are simply disgusting! They'd end up back in China where the torture/killings are just as, or more, brutal! There are several 'petitions' organised on Facebook - one organisation presently involved in trying to stop them selling 'keyrings' filled with some kind of fluid - "nutrients"!!! with fish and little terrapins in - no access to air - only likely to 'live' suffocating - a few days! I think it's something like change.org Often wonder if these petitions have any effect?? Does the Chinese Government even remotely care? now they are a booming economy/making millions from trading with the rest of the world. But it's their 'culture' they say! It's virtually impossible now to 'boycott' buying anything from China!! We don't always know, as items often not labelled. Don't know what we can do?! found this link on Facebook about the 'keyrings'!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-li ... s-in-china

What the hell is going on, Ive just read this and I cant believe it, what is wrong with these people.
Daryn the happy geordie

http://www.majorcaforum.com/ my pride and joy travel site and forum
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
Daryn
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby O`Donnell » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Daryn wrote:what is wrong with these people.

Well, according to some ethnic features - nothing "wrong" from their point of view, as Brenda, Ali & others had already noted. The same is for some rituals that can really threaten whole populations, f.e.: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1c67wbOqs - maybe, this festival was already discussed on this forum, I don`t know. But considering the amount of these turtles that are killed there every year - their protection status and "official" measures for their preservation seem to be a sort of some evil irony...
O`Donnell

Next

Return to Chelonian Conservation