Tortoise Dealer faces jail

Reports and discussions on all aspects of tortoise and turtle conservation.

Tortoise Dealer faces jail

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm

A 21-year-old Telford man could face up to five years in prison after admitting trading in endangered species of tortoise following a dawn raid on his home.

David Johnson, of Captain’s Meadow, The Rock, admitted six charges of illegally selling either Hermann’s or spur-thighed tortoises when he appeared before Telford Magistrates.

Johnson, also admitted illegally buying a Hermann’s tortoise and furnishing a false document to obtain a permit.

The case was adjourned to Shrewsbury Crown Court for sentencing.

(Reported in this month's CITES bulletin)

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Re: Tortoise Dealer faces jail

Postby MandyP » Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Well I hope he gets a severe enough punishment to put him off doing it again. :twisted:
At least then it will be one less rogue thinking they can use torts to make money !!!
Mandy x

2.1.2 Testudo Graeca ibera, Tinker, Winston, Aphrodite, Dot and Button !!
3.6 Horsefields, Lumpy and Bumpy, Mork and No 2 (yet to think of a name !!)Bertha, Sky, Pancake, Hope and Carla
1.2 Berber skinks
2.1 Children !!!!!!!
A husband !!!!
MandyP

Postby Elaine » Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Hope they throw the full sentence at him as an example to the other heartless traders.
Elaine
Elaine
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk a site dedicated to improving a tortoise and turtles diet in captivity.
Elaine

Postby LindaTrompetto » Wed May 13, 2009 6:50 pm

My hairdresser today told me that a brother of a client smuggled in a really tiny tortoise, he thinks from Spain, and it died within a few weeks. So sad and in some ways I wish he hadn't told me but then figured that I shouldn't bury my head in the sand :x
Linda
LindaTrompetto

Postby insenceaddict » Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm

This is the case i was talking about Andy, but there was never any mention of where all the reptiles, including tortoise that were found went!
Jacqui :?
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby ali » Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

so glad they got him, i hope they throw the book at him.ali
ali

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 pm

I thought it was probably the same case, Jacqui.

Now he has been named, however. Anyone know if he was trading under a different name or simply shifting them out of a car boot, or whatever?

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Julie » Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Not sure Andy, but i think he may have been involved with a petshop that suddenly closed down very near to us!

Julie
Julie

Postby pauline » Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 am

when i bought my first tortoise the owner of the shop bragged that his mates have been bringin tortoises in cigarette packets back from holiday as there only £1 or 2, he couldnt give me any advice he told us harry was a year old but we knew from his size and the jackson ratio that he was a healthy 5yrs he was fed on pelets for the first few weeks we had to wean him off the pelets , he now has the run off the garden with loads of weeds and edible plants,
my other 2 are also hermans they were bought from Fife animal park 1 of them didnt look to great he has a couple of extra scutes and his plastrons not quiet right he has had an eye infection he hasnt put on any wieght in the last 6 month where as the other has put on around 40g and the vets checkin for herpes theyve cost me £200 on vet bills in the last few months
they have all came from slovenia
should i take out pet insurance & where will i get it
ive learnt more from this site than any where else
so thanks everyone
i,ll try to get some pics on

pauline
3 hermans
1 husband
4 daughters
x
pauline

Postby Julie » Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Update on this. He made £35,000 in 12 months and has been sentenced to 8 months in prison. He sold Hermanns and Spur thigh torts with paperwork he had changed, to petshops in Manchester and Nottingham. He did all this from his home. 91 Hermanns and 9 Spur thigh were involved in the sales.

Julie
Julie

Next

Return to Chelonian Conservation