British Federation of Herpetologists

Reports and discussions on all aspects of tortoise and turtle conservation.

Re: British Federation of Herpetologists

Postby blin69 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am

Yep, had a look and don't understand any of it either!!
Belinda x
Belinda
--------------
1 Leopard Tortoise : TULLY
1 Geriatric Cat : GIZMO
2 Children (1 of each)
1 Partner
blin69

Postby suej » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I did know some greek many years ago, buts its pretty much all gone now, I often wonder why people put up a web site when its not finished, it just makes them look like numptys
suej

Postby Brenda Vernon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Chris why waste our time :?: The whole site appears unfinished apart from the request for a donation
Brenda
Brenda Vernon

Postby Tamie Milne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Brenda Vernon wrote:Chris why waste our time :?: The whole site appears unfinished apart from the request for a donation
Brenda

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamie
Tamie Milne

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 pm

<<We fully accept the need for proper legislation that seeks to protect the well being of reptiles & amphibians. Any changes, however, must be carefully thought through before Government imposes them upon ordinary individuals.>>

Completely agree with you there Chris. There is no doubt that "knee=jerk" reactions by politicians are a serious problem and can result in irrational, unworkable legislation.

>> The current “lottery” when it comes to local authorities issuing (or not) Pet Shop & Dangerous Wild Animals Act licences must come to an end. Equally inspecting authorities, whoever they may be, must have proper experience/ qualifications to do the job in hand.>>

I agree again. Too often inspecting authorities (including CITES inspecting authorities) do not know their job and get it totally wrong.

>>The activities on the very vocal animal rights groups need to be curtailed & these people exposed for what they are. >>

Curtailed? You mean you want their freedom of speech restricted? They have as much right to express an opinion as you do. I do not agree with much, or even most, of what they say when it comes to reptile keeping (I think they fail to understand it), but they are fully entitled to put their point across, just as much as you do, or I do. I would not want to see anyone "curtailed". There is too much of that going on as it is. As for "these people exposed for what they are" - I'm sure they'd say the same about some of the people you speak up for!!! :lol: People who sell contagious tortoises with herpes, for example.... Anyway, that sounds very extreme and unbalanced. That kind of statement will put genuine herpetologists right off.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:Does anyone know whether this organisation still exists?

The website seems rather strange.

http://www.f-b-h.co.uk/

Isn't this the organisation, of presumably vast membership, that Chris Newman says he is the "chair"?

http://www.tskaexotics.co.uk/page93.php

Oh, and REPTA ( another one without a website or any visible existence outside of a few individuals)?

It's not this one, by the way...

http://www.repta.co.uk/

It has been discussed on (other forums!) but even there, stuffed as they are with traders, no-one seems any the wiser..

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/hobby-is ... repta.html

Maybe Chris can enlighten us?

Andy

Andy,
Is this the organisation that the dreaded "Dr Bustard" had something to do with?

Roger
Roger
Roger

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:49 pm

No. That's the BHS (British Herpetological Society). Once a very fine organisation... brilliant under the late Mike Lambert. A man of true integrity and incredible knowledge. Sadly missed.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Eversfield » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Mike Lambert was indeed a man of great knowledge and integrity, I had the pleasure of serving with him on the Committee of the British Herpetological Society when Lord Cranbrook was president of that great organisation.
A sad loss to us all and at such a young age too!
Paul Eversfield
Eversfield

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:57 pm

I learned a lot from Mike. Brilliant researcher and very well traveled - really knew his stuff and always ready to share it. His work on tortoises was not only academically outstanding, but a good read too! Not often you can say that these days.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Chris Newman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:47 am

suej wrote:I did know some greek many years ago, buts its pretty much all gone now, I often wonder why people put up a web site when its not finished, it just makes them look like numptys

I appreciate that being dyslexic I sometime misinterpret things, but I thought ‘Coming Soon’ was English, perhaps I’m mistaken and its Greek! :lol:
Chris Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Chelonian Conservation