Tortoise Farms

Reports and discussions on all aspects of tortoise and turtle conservation.

Re: Tortoise Farms

Postby kreptile » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Great concept - i like it !

Darren
kreptile

Postby Eversfield » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Just a thought.---- Last year, I heard that in South Africa, a farm had been set up to captive breed the Large South African Lizard species, Sun Gazer (Cordylus giganteus). This was accepting the fact that South Africa has seemed to have closed any wild caught/collected Reptile Fauna from legal export for many years. In any case, the Sun Gazer is listed under CITES regulation under App 2.
Under strict guidelines, what do you think the prospect is for Captive Farming, of say the Angulate Tortoise (Chersina angulata)?
This is a species, that is not considered threatened, and in certain natural populations reaches very high densities in the wild.
Of course, South Africa, generally has a huge diversity of Tortoise species, with very few evident in captive collections outside of the country.
Paul Eversfield
Paul Eversfield
Eversfield

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:45 am

Technically, Chersina angulata is quite an easy species.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Eversfield » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:24 am

I think that in Madagascar, or Reunion, it would be possible to Ethically farm Radiated Tortoises (Astrochelys radiata), as these too are highly prolific breeders, and might provide a high value cash crop for native farmers.
Hypothetically, there are real possibilities with this concept, but of course, the issues remain very sensitive and full of potential pitfalls. However, it is interesting that organisations such as the Turtle Survival Association, are becoming more receptive to this type of concept.
Are you and Nadine going over to St Louis in August to their conference?
Paul Eversfield
Eversfield

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 am

I do not think we would be very welcome! :lol:

After exposing their mistreatment of "rescued" turtles and plans to automatically euthanise species of "no conservation value" a few years ago, I would think we are the very last people they'd want there. We'd probably be about as welcome as you would by the previous regime at Carapax...

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Previous

Return to Chelonian Conservation