Tortoise Trust day workshops

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

Tortoise Trust day workshops

Postby Tamie Milne » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm

http://tinyurl.com/ce6jho

This 1-day intensive school covers all essential aspects of maintaining tortoises and turtles in captivity. Good practical management flows from an understanding of the different biological requirements of species from diverse habitats. Desert species require a vastly different approach than animals from humid habitats, for example. These differences manifest in terms not only of temperature and ambient humidity needs, but also in terms of diet and homeostasis (water balance). A comprehension of these mechanisms is fundamental to designing optimum captive environments and in preventing environmental and nutritional problems. Specific topics covered in the course include:

* Tropical and temperate species management
* Terrestrial, semi-terrestrial and aquatic species management
* Behavioural and genetic compatibility issues
* Disease prevention and treatment protocols
* Working with rescued tortoises and handling techniques
* Running a rescue center and managing crisis situations
* Example case studies
* Nutritional management

It is intended that at the completion of this workshop you will possess a working knowledge of how to manage a tortoise or turtle collection efficiently and safely, understand how to respond appropriately in emergencies, and how to design and provide appropriate captive environments for a wide range of species.

Courses are presented by A. C. Highfield (author of "Keeping & Breeding Tortoises in Captivity", "Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping & Breeding Tortoises & Freshwater Turtles" and "Tortoise Trust Guide to Tortoises and Turtles) and Nadine Highfield (author of "Keeping a Pet Tortoise") and typically commence at 10.00 am with a one hour break for lunch between 12.30 and 1.30. An excellent buffet lunch and refreshments are all included in the course price. Vegetarian options available. The
course finishes at 4.00 p.m. There will be social activities in the evening.

PLACES ARE LIMITED.

Workshop dates/areas:

Saturday March 28th - Oxford
Saturday May 9th - Southampton
Saturday May 23rd - Liverpool
Tamie Milne

Re: Tortoise Trust day workshops

Postby ReptileRescueDen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks Tamie. :)
ReptileRescueDen

Postby Beverley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:31 pm

These workshops sound really good, does anyone know where the workshop is being held in Liverpool?
Beverley

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

Please note: Advance reservation for course places ESSENTIAL. This is filling up quickly, so do reserve asap.

You can reserve online:

http://www.easycatalog.net/home/tortoise/

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby sulcata2big » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 pm

i have paid for my place in the workshop and have placed a note in the bottom advising i want to attend the liverpool workshop, is this ok and will i get a place on this workshop as there was no option to choose which workshop you wanted to attend
sulcata2big

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Not a problem. You can actually add a note, but we had guessed correctly anyway :)

In cases of doubt - we contact you.

Place reserved.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby newforestmum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 pm

I am hoping to attend the Southampton workshop, as we live very close, but it will all depend on how the Chemo is going, so if I don't manage to make it, I apologise in advance now.

Plus I apologise for pulling out of TT field trip but Dr's have grounded me until my treatment is all finished, so Andy please can you arrange another TT field trip for next year?

Lisa
newforestmum

Postby Tamie Milne » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 pm

newforestmum wrote:I am hoping to attend the Southampton workshop, as we live very close, but it will all depend on how the Chemo is going, so if I don't manage to make it, I apologise in advance now.

Plus I apologise for pulling out of TT field trip but Dr's have grounded me until my treatment is all finished, so Andy please can you arrange another TT field trip for next year?

Lisa

Lisa, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you will be up to it but if you cannot then everyone will understand, what you are doing in battling the cancer so bravely is simply fantastic. There will be other opportunities once you have kicked 'it' into touch ;) .

Tamie
Tamie Milne

Postby keith » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Hello everyone Attended the workshop to day :D Had a grate time and learnt loads. Also Hi to all those I meet on the course. Any thinking of going should it was an excellent Day. Keith
keith

Postby Nina » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:00 pm

And I'd like to second what Keith said. It was a brilliant day. Andy and Nadine gave such an interesting and informative presentation -- I think even the more experienced keepers learned a lot -- and there was ample time to ask questions, both during the presentation and in the breaks and the lunch as well. And it was great to meet people -- I really enjoyed chatting to tort keepers from all over the country, and feel that I have made some new friends. I would heartily recommend booking a place on the Southampton or Liverpool course if you can.

Nina
Nina

Next

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements