Tortoise and Turtle Purchase Survey

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

Tortoise and Turtle Purchase Survey

Postby Nadine Highfield » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm

The Tortoise Trust and the Jill Martin Fund for Tortoise Welfare and Conservation are conducting a survey to establish the experience of people who have purchased a tortoise or turtle in the UK in the past three years. The data we collect will help us better target our campaigns and free educational materials which provide new keepers with important information that can help prevent health problems. We will also publish a report detailing the results.

This survey will ask questions about an individual tortoise or turtle. If you have purchased others in the UK during the past three years, a separate survey should be completed for each one.

If you are able to participate, we thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. You can find it here:

http://survey.constantcontact.com/surve ... ujfh/start

Nadine Highfield
Nadine Highfield

Re: Tortoise and Turtle Purchase Survey

Postby Hannah » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Nadine,

What an excellent survey - Would you be interested in paper version of this being completed? I would happily give a copy to all my tortoise clients when they come in for consultation to fill in in the surgery. I will of course give them the link but wonder how many might take the time? I ask this this information in a consultation anyway - in theory I could then fill the internet one in with the owners permission.

Just a thought..

Hannah
H. Bould B.V.M.S., M.R.C.V.S.

Taylor & Marshall Vets, Shifnal
Connaught Vets, Wolverhampton
Warrendale Vets, Knypersley, Stoke
Hannah

Postby Elaine » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I think this is an excellent resource to base future booklets on. I have found that I have lost out on many sales due to price (I price a hatchling at £100 but a keeper near me sells 2 for £110), so in my area the most common factor that I have found that governs the choice is cost, may have been worth including? I would also have liked to seen a question regarding vets. I always find a recommended reptile vet close to where the new keepers live and provide this with-in their care package which again is a question that repeatidly comes up on the forums. I do hope all the breeders support this work, well done.
Elaine
Elaine
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk a site dedicated to improving a tortoise and turtles diet in captivity.
Elaine

Postby FLINTUS » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

I have done it and I thought generally good BUT surely we should have just soil as a normal substrate? As this is what most good breeders of Testudo species use now as sand can cause impaction.
2.2 Red Foots
1.0 Golden Retriever
1.1 Lop-eared rabbits
0.1 Cat
0.0.5 Goldfish
0.0.3 Jadatzi GALS
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks(Kinixys Erosa)
FLINTUS

Postby Elaine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi Flintus, I would class myself as a 'good breeder' and do have sand mixed in with my soil, stones, caves, slate and shrubs.
Have a look at the records Andy and Nadine have provided us with

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4746 might make you rethink?

How do you keep yours with regards substrate? Any pictures? Always open to learning..

Elaine
Elaine
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk a site dedicated to improving a tortoise and turtles diet in captivity.
Elaine

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

FLINTUS wrote:I have done it and I thought generally good BUT surely we should have just soil as a normal substrate? As this is what most good breeders of Testudo species use now as sand can cause impaction.

It does not. That is simply wrong. These are real habitats, with Testudo graeca:

The same applies to stones. Not a problem.

Impaction problems are related to other factors - primarily lack of dietary fibre. Numerous species of tortoise exist (and thrive) in very sandy habitats, and sand itself is absolutely not dangerous.
Tortoise Trust

Postby AliTBimbo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm

I have completed survey but it won't let it "finish" as errors are on the page - I can't find any unanswered questions or anything though . . .

EDITED: Ignore me, I had clicked an "other" but not written in box . . . :oops: :oops:
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
0:0:1 TGI Spur Thigh Baby Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements