Major Tortoise Theft ALERT

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

Major Tortoise Theft ALERT

Postby Jonesy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Major Tortoise Theft – Surrey – Press Release

Security Notice – Appeal for information – Please Publish

Between Tuesday 14th. and Thursday 16th. December 2010 residential premises in the area of Redhill, Surrey were the target of thieves when they stole from a heated out-house the following Tortoises:

2 Three year old Sulcatas

2 Three year old Hermann’s

1 Two year old Marginated

1 Four year old Marginated

1 Fifteen year old Spur-thighed.

The Hermann’s, Marginated and Spur-thighed species are subject to CITES Annex A and require Article 10 licences. To trade without such licences is a most serious offence and carries upwards of five years custodial sentence.

We make this appeal to anyone with any information as to the whereabouts of the stolen Tortoises. It is not the value of the missing animals which is the concern but their welfare and the loss of future breeding programmes.

It is particularly cruel to steal such animals at this time of the year and whoever is in possession of them will not be aware of their special diet and nutritional needs.

This was a pre-planned crime, one of a number in the South of England this year and all such Tortoise keepers and breeders should be most vigilant at this time.

They are all identifiable and rewards have been offered for their safe return and any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thieves.

If you can help in any way please contact John Hayward, Co-ordinator, National Theft Register for Exotic Animals, Tel: 01869 325699 Email: jh@ntr.supanet.com

Hope that it is okay to put this on as I thought everyone should be made aware of it.
Hope this is the correct section to.
thanks
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Re: Major Tortoise Theft ALERT

Postby insenceaddict » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 pm

OMG thats terribel! i really hope they are rteturned safely. has Johnm at BCG been notified, re the natuional theft register?
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby insenceaddict » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Sorry, clicked submit before checking my terrible spelling! Dyslexic or what! It is John Hayward at BCG i meant to say!
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby justmeandmytortoise » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 pm

What would be good is if tortoise groups in Surrey were contacted by the theft coordinator and alerted to the theft, in order to try and pull resources and communicate together so they can be on the alert for any traded on.
Wendy
justmeandmytortoise

Postby Jonesy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Jacqui
This came from John as he sends them all to me so that I can let people know.
Keep those ears and eyes peeled incase you hear anything.
If you do, phone John Heywood immediately or email him.
Thanks
Linda

Jonesy

Postby insenceaddict » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh Ok Linda, didnt realise it came from John. anyway, will keep my ears open. its terrible, people may well buy them as Christmas presents with NO idea!
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby justmeandmytortoise » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Yes thanks Linda for posting ... for if you didn't post how else would anyone know about this theft. I have alerted the Surrey Group :D
Wendy
justmeandmytortoise

Postby Jonesy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks Wendy
I would be surprised if he hadn't alerted them, but if they are a new group or would like to know about any of thes alerts just email him and let him know. I am sure he would let them know.
Hope that someone finds them quickly.
Linda

Jonesy

Postby justmeandmytortoise » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:39 am

Jonesy wrote:Thanks Wendy
I would be surprised if he hadn't alerted them, but if they are a new group or would like to know about any of thes alerts just email him and let him know. I am sure he would let them know.
Hope that someone finds them quickly.

Sadly ... no he doesn't alert the Groups .. when found, when stolen, when missing, from the next road to where you are based or in the area. :( I always think good communication is vital in preventing and finding these missing and stolen Chelonia. But it doesn't happen. :( The BCG Chairman informed me yesterday that if I paid £350 a year to John Hayward he would let me know of anything in this Group's area. :o Is an email that expensive :o
Wendy
justmeandmytortoise

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 am

justmeandmytortoise wrote:
Sadly ... no he doesn't alert the Groups .. when found, when stolen, when missing, from the next road to where you are based or in the area. :( I always think good communication is vital in preventing and finding these missing and stolen Chelonia. But it doesn't happen. :( The BCG Chairman informed me yesterday that if I paid £350 a year to John Hayward he would let me know of anything in this Group's area. :o Is an email that expensive :o

I'm shocked that they would want any money just to inform a group or forum of a theft or lost tortoise, let alone £350 a year.
Maybe it's time somebody else took over, as I agree in the modern world you can reach alot more people over the Internet and with e-mail than with a telephone.
Matt
Matt

Next

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements