Major Tortoise Theft ALERT

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

Re: Major Tortoise Theft ALERT

Postby Jonesy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:09 pm

My charity pay him a retainer but not that much. This helps pay for all the work that he does travelling around finding tortoises and finding owners. It is a lot for a single person to pay but not that much for an organization. I will continue to put them on here then so that you can see and pass it on for nothing.
thanks
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby justmeandmytortoise » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 pm

I wouldn't mind, but we have just had a complaint from a very angry owner who lost a tortoise in the summer. :x

The tortoise was an adult belonging to a family with teenage children. It escaped. The owner lives within walking distance from this Group :roll: . The owner reported it to me and I advised them to report it to John Hayward. The tortoise was found (still within walking distance and a few doors from the owner). The person who found it tried to find the owner and couldn't. They contacted a local pet shop who gave them John Haywards details. :) The tortoise ended up on John's register and there it sat for 4 months ... on a list. :( I read the list published in the BCG Newsletter 4 months later, and there was the tortoise 'found' in August. :o It is now December. The owner and his teenage children have spent 4 months going nuts thinking the worst and the children upset thinking a fox had got it. :cry:

One email to this Group back in August and the case would have been closed and solved within the hour. :o :shock: The owner complained to me ... but not my fault. If I hadn't of read it in the BCG Newsletter the owner still would not be reunited with his tortoise. :shock: Why not. :o

It does not cost £350 to ask the person finding the tortoise to phone the local group to see if we can help.

I am a paid up member of the BCG. The BCG pay John too, so where was the service to reunite this tortoise. The tortoise is underweight and spent four months cared for by a great person but who knew nothing about tortoises. The Group could have acted as foster carer until the owner found.

This tortoise just sat on a list ... for £350 a year :(

:?:
Wendy
justmeandmytortoise

Postby Jonesy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Wow :shock:
I cannot believe that. I wonder whether there is anything we can do to prevent this happening again. I have not heard of it happening before, have you :?:
When I talk to him I will try and find out what happened, if that is okay with you. Let me know if it isn't.
I would like to get to the bottom of this as it should not have happened.
thanks
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby Eversfield » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 pm

From what I understand in this case, if lessons are to be learnt then such a notice should be sent out by the John Hayward to all the Tortoise groups whom subscribe to his service. Then, it is up to their own communications between their members via regions, if appropriate; Formal and informal, and hopefully such early warning might successfully assist recovery. After all, with the thefts down at Joy Bloor's Tortoise Garden I believe the publicity helped a great deal in the successful recovery of at least some of her animals.
As is so often the case, communication, and the application of plain common sense can greatly assist in these matters.
In this most recent theft case, I believe that "Just me and my Tortoise", has notified the Surrey group of the BCG, where hopefully they can input on the successful resolution of this crime. I would imagine dealers and traders in exotic animals will be minded if they are approached with offers of animals in this period before Christmas and suspicious re home requests will also be considered as well?
With the current spell of atrocious weather the theft of these animals must have a very special concern for their rightful owner!!
Paul Eversfield
Eversfield

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:01 am

Let me get this straight, because I am having a problem getting my head around it. Someone is charging £350 a year just to subscribe to an email list of animals that have been lost/stolen/recovered? :shock: :shock: :shock:

No, can't be right. Can it?

Is there any charge to add a stole tortoise to this list by the way?
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:10 am

Tortoise Trust

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 am

From this statement from Andy's link above, you would also have to pay them £10 if you found a Parrot. :?
"If a bird is reported lost or found, a small admin charge of £10 is made to any member of the public not already a member of a recognised parrot society - and I don't mean just the PSUK. "

They seem to have it covered from all angles.

I wonder what percentage of birds make it back to their owners ?
Matt
Matt

Previous

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements