how can i register my tortoises

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

how can i register my tortoises

Postby jacquic » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

i wonder if anyone can help my mom and dad bought a house in spain about 4 years ago to find that the garden was home to 8 lovley tortoises who seemed to be living happily in their garden so happily infact that year after year they are producing around 10 to 20 babies, my mom and dad are happy to have some tortioses living with them but the numbers are getting higher and higher they have been told that in order to sell any tortoises they need to be registered here in spain firstly is this right and secondly how can we do this ?
thanks for your time jacqui
jacquic

Re: how can i register my tortoises

Postby Stuart » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:25 am

How lucky and fortunate are your parents!

(Question for Andy when he replies: Would the babies be considered wild caught or captive bred?)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Carrie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:50 am

Wow, that must be quite an amazing sight! Did you get any guidance on what your parents can do?
Carrie
Carrie

Postby Stuart » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 am

Yes, I'dlike ot know how this one ended.
Could such babies be released into the wild? Or even just "allowed" to escape? If they're native species, are they not virtually wild, just happen to be enclosed? Like the Chillingham Wild Cattle.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 am

It is very common here in some areas to just have tortoises wandering in and out of people's gardens and property. There are three dangers:

1. Drowning in swimming pools (we have seen two cases in the last month, one survived, one did not)
2. Dogs.
3. People deciding to feed lettuce, etc. Result: bumpy tortoises!

As long as they enter and can leave, they are wild tortoises. If kept closed off, they are not, and this is in fact illegal here unless they are properly licensed - but a lot of people do it.... we are always trying to get people to realise that the best thing is to leave them alone. Don't feed. Don't keep them as pets. Keep dogs on a lead when out walking, and secure your pool.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements