TORTOISE TRUST COURSE - UPDATE

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

TORTOISE TRUST COURSE - UPDATE

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 am

As you are aware, over a year ago we had to begin phasing out the existing online course. There was no option, as there were increasing compatibility problems with new browsers and operating systems (Win 7 and OSX). Also, one of the companies hosting the forms handling was making changes to their systems that was causing issues. Technology does not stand still, and the course was based on presentation technology that was up to date 10 years ago! So, for technical reasons, and to avoid people experiencing problems loading images, etc., we had to take it off-line for a complete re-write and re-design.

It would not have been right to offer something that we knew could not be guaranteed to work properly on recent computers.

We ceased sign-ups well over a year ago, and have given everyone more than 9 months to complete the eight lessons. Shortly, though, further changes will mean that the forms server is going to be taken off-line too.

There are still a few people who have not finished. In these cases, we are offering a 100% free upgrade to the new course, which has even more content, including a completely new extra module. I can now reveal that this will not only be accessible on PC's and Mac's but also on Kindle and iPad.

There have been major, and continuing, problems with the certificates on the old course. We used to mail them in A4 card backed envelopes and a very high percentage were failing to arrive. This only got worse since we moved to Spain. They would not fit in a letterbox, and if you were out, we know for a fact that some postal employees simply put them anywhere convenient resulting in loss and damage... we had to replace many soggy, dog-chewed examples. Other have been found in the road...We have continued to issue replacements free of charge (at considerable expense). We are extending the time for replacements to April, just to be completely fair. If you have completed over the last 3 months, your certificates are going out THIS WEEK. If in doubt, contact me to ask and I can check for you. We now mail them in regular A5 envelopes which has drastically reduced the delivery failure rate. It is not 100%, but much better than it was previously.

The bottom line is that we cannot continue to issue replacement certificates or maintain the old course online indefinitely. We have given ample notice of this, and we also offer the free upgrade to the new version for anyone not able to complete on time.

If you have still not completed, please do so as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may not be able to. Please be patient while we put the finishing touches to the new version. It is better than ever, and contains a lot of updated material.
Tortoise Trust

Re: TORTOISE TRUST COURSE - UPDATE

Postby Stuart » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:

There are still a few people who have not finished. In these cases, we are offering a 100% free upgrade to the new course, which has even more content, including a completely new extra module. I can now reveal that this will not only be accessible on PC's and Mac's but also on Kindle and iPad.

The bottom line is that we cannot continue to issue replacement certificates or maintain the old course online indefinitely. We have given ample notice of this, and we also offer the free upgrade to the new version for anyone not able to complete on time.

If you have still not completed, please do so as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may not be able to. Please be patient while we put the finishing touches to the new version. It is better than ever, and contains a lot of updated material.

This is is good news Andy. Thank you for this clarification, and for the reassurance that all is not lost... - being as behind as I was I'd pretty much given up on it, actually, knowing I couldn't meet the last published deadline. I might try to get a bit more down now, but suspect that I may end up having to avail myself of the upgrade facility...
If that is the case, I'm particularly excited by the thought of being able to read course material on my Kindle - genius idea...(and I'm sure wealthier (!) subscribers, who own ipads, will relish the freedom that will give them to study on the move etc)

We all look forward to hearing more in due course.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Moiramay » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 am

Hi there

I am new to the forum and do not yet have a tortoise but I would very much like to adopt a tort and have been reading a lot about it. I think I would benefit from a course. When will the new courses be available to start? Are there only onine courses or are there any weekend/short courses?

I'd appreciate any advice you may have

Thank you
Moira, Berwickshire, Scottish Borders
Moiramay

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 am

Should be out in April.

We do not have any full day courses planned in the UK this year, as it is difficult for us to get away (too many critters to take care of!), but we do have facilities for students here in 'tortoise country' in Southen Spain and are always happy to take visitors out to learn about how tortoises really live...
Tortoise Trust

Postby AliTBimbo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 am

I look forward :D to signing up!
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
1:0:0 TGI Spur Thigh Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.youniqueproducts.com/alitaylor
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Gavin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:There are still a few people who have not finished...
If you have still not completed, please do so as soon as possible.

Ah!.. I guess we are one of those. I think we completed Lesson 6. So are on Lesson 7.

We will look at this next week.

Regards
Gavin & Jane
Gavin & Jane
Gavin

Postby Gavin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Just submitted Lesson 7. Please review and send out Lesson 8 and we'll finish that off within a day or two.

Thanks
Gavin & Jane
Gavin & Jane
Gavin

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Will get all pending out Monday.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Gavin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:Will get all pending out Monday.

No sign of any reply yet. Please tell us if we need to resubmit or send via email
Thanks
Gavin & Jane
Gavin & Jane
Gavin

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:22 am

Just resent, so if not there - let me know ASAP.
Tortoise Trust

Next

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements