Tortoise Trust on Facebook

Official announcements, press releases, and bulletins from the Tortoise Trust. NOTE: Fully moderated section. Any posts made here are subject to approval, so there may be a delay before they actually appear.

Re: Tortoise Trust on Facebook

Postby Laraine » Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 pm

I can never figure out facebook! Hannah sent me in an invitation to join, which I did, and then some people have asked to be added as a friend, I have had 2 more invites in the last few days according to my emails but I have to wait till my daughter is free each time I get one of the invites as I haven't a clue how to accept a friend or any of the things I get sent! As for the wall to write on.........where do you find that? :lol: far too complicated! :lol: :lol:
Laraine
Laraine

Postby MandyP » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!

Face book is almost as addictive as the TT forum :D :D :D :D :D
Mandy x

2.1.2 Testudo Graeca ibera, Tinker, Winston, Aphrodite, Dot and Button !!
3.6 Horsefields, Lumpy and Bumpy, Mork and No 2 (yet to think of a name !!)Bertha, Sky, Pancake, Hope and Carla
1.2 Berber skinks
2.1 Children !!!!!!!
A husband !!!!
MandyP

Postby lynn c » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

HELP............ What am I doing wrong :?: . Having joined facebook and joined the group I cant make it work.
The day I joined I went on and watched the video etc. Now everytime I go on I just get the page with the TT logo and nothig else :cry:
I know I am technologicaly challenged but I have tried everything. Anyone out there who can tell me what to do :?:

Thank you
Lynn C
lynn c

Postby MandyP » Wed May 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Nope...Ive just tried and I cant get on to it either !!!!!
Mandy x

2.1.2 Testudo Graeca ibera, Tinker, Winston, Aphrodite, Dot and Button !!
3.6 Horsefields, Lumpy and Bumpy, Mork and No 2 (yet to think of a name !!)Bertha, Sky, Pancake, Hope and Carla
1.2 Berber skinks
2.1 Children !!!!!!!
A husband !!!!
MandyP

Postby Nadine Highfield » Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm

I have always kept away from the social networking sites. Nadine, is there anything that will be on facebook that I cannot find out from this forum,yahoo group or TT site. Don't want to miss out on the oppportunity of learning anything.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Every way we provide information, whether through free booklets, or on forums or through press releases (such as with our safer hibernation campaign when we contact the media across the UK) has the potential of reaching more people who need good information that will help tortoises and aquatic turtles. My aim for the Facebook page is to post important news and announcements, which will not only reach people who are already TT members (and those already on the forum or discussion list), but others who may not yet know about the Tortoise Trust. Some may be keeping tortoises or turtles as pets (or thinking about it) and not have the proper care information. Others may not keep them as pets, but are concerned about whats happening to them in the wild.

I'll highlight some topics related to husbandry and nutrition, conservation issues, and post stories about rescues and tortoises being treated here at the Tortoise Trust, and be including photos and video whenever possible. Some items may not appear here on the forum.

With these goals in mind, I found that Facebook has a page format that works better than the "group" for the purpose of keeping our members and friends on Facebook informed about news and events. Many of the groups on Facebook have discussion forums, but since we already have a wonderful forum and discussion list, we don't need another. So, people can comment on a news items on our Facebook page, but for more in depth discussion, I will suggest that they come to the forum (or list), and go to the main TT website for articles and other information.

The new TT Facebook page makes it easier for us to attach photos and video to our news items, and for you to comment on specific posts. We will keep the group page for the moment, but are changing over to the new page format on Facebook. We have had several members test it and they all preferred the way it looks and functions. You can find the new Tortoise Trust page here:

http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?pa ... 060?ref=ts

We hope you like it. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Postby Janet » Sun May 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks Nadine, will give it a go when I have some more time. Always been wary espically with the recent bullying posts.

Janet
Janet
Janet

Postby chrissy » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 am

Good decision , Nadine. This format is far more informative and looks much better. 'Facebookers' will get more of an idea about the Tortoise Trust's work from this. I'm not having any more probs getting on the T.T group page. Don't know why I was only getting a blank wall. I wasn't the only one having probs I see. All good now anyway.
Chrissy
Chrissy
chrissy

Postby Nadine Highfield » Wed May 27, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for the feedback. The other nice thing you get with the new TT page is our logo on your own page when you become a fan! I noticed that it appeared on mine. The background is white, so you just see the logo, not the box:

Seeing that on someone's page will lead new keepers or those who care about tortoises to information they need. I'm surprised at how many people have emailed me with questions since joining, and I'm sure that many more have visited the website.

Anyway we can reach people has to be a good thing, right? :)

Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Postby ReptileRescueDen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Nadine Highfield wrote:
I have always kept away from the social networking sites. Nadine, is there anything that will be on facebook that I cannot find out from this forum,yahoo group or TT site. Don't want to miss out on the oppportunity of learning anything.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Every way we provide information, whether through free booklets, or on forums or through press releases (such as with our safer hibernation campaign when we contact the media across the UK) has the potential of reaching more people who need good information that will help tortoises and aquatic turtles. My aim for the Facebook page is to post important news and announcements, which will not only reach people who are already TT members (and those already on the forum or discussion list), but others who may not yet know about the Tortoise Trust. Some may be keeping tortoises or turtles as pets (or thinking about it) and not have the proper care information. Others may not keep them as pets, but are concerned about whats happening to them in the wild.

I'll highlight some topics related to husbandry and nutrition, conservation issues, and post stories about rescues and tortoises being treated here at the Tortoise Trust, and be including photos and video whenever possible. Some items may not appear here on the forum.

With these goals in mind, I found that Facebook has a page format that works better than the "group" for the purpose of keeping our members and friends on Facebook informed about news and events. Many of the groups on Facebook have discussion forums, but since we already have a wonderful forum and discussion list, we don't need another. So, people can comment on a news items on our Facebook page, but for more in depth discussion, I will suggest that they come to the forum (or list), and go to the main TT website for articles and other information.

The new TT Facebook page makes it easier for us to attach photos and video to our news items, and for you to comment on specific posts. We will keep the group page for the moment, but are changing over to the new page format on Facebook. We have had several members test it and they all preferred the way it looks and functions. You can find the new Tortoise Trust page here:

http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?pa ... 060?ref=ts

We hope you like it. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nadine

Using Facebook as a tool as suggested is a means to reach those who would normally never even reach the TT site is ace!. Having the TT on FB is wonderful, I will always advise others seeking help to check out the TT, as NO one can ever substitute the TT.
ReptileRescueDen

Previous

Return to Tortoise Trust News and Announcements