Nutrobal & Calcium requirements in SW France

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Nutrobal & Calcium requirements in SW France

Postby Clara » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi all,
Our 2 hermanns have been outside since end April and we are enjoying a very hot summer here in the Midi-Pyrennees. Although we did have a couple of cooler days last week.

There are plenty of weeds and tortoise friendly flowers in their enclosure and they graze freely. We have been inspired by Andy's research, and have resisted the temptation to add any lush green leaves or to supplement their diet with tasty treats even while everything is dry and brown. They are very active early morning and late evening but find shade for most of the day. They have cuttle fish available at all times but have never been interested. The substrate is mostly limestone chippings with topsoil and sand so that they can burrow (but rarely do). They have a cold frame but, understandably, they have found that much too hot of late.

I am wondering about Nutrobal and calcium requirements though. Do they need this when they are getting so much natural sunshine? If so how much and how often?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Clara
Clara

Re: Nutrobal & Calcium requirements in SW France

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:18 pm

I would not use Nutrobal in SW France. With the soil there, your plants (and water) are probably very high in calcium too.

I do not use any supplements here, at all.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Nutrobal & Calcium requirements in SW France

Postby Clara » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:10 am

Thank you Andy, I really appreciate your advice and reassurance.

Clara
Clara

Return to Feeding and Nutrition