Herman Winding Down

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Herman Winding Down

Postby keef » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm

My Herman tortoise is about 5/6 years old and last year she successfully hibernated for the first time, after having lived indoors and over wintered for the first years we had her. She now has an outdoor pen with a heated house and a small greenhouse. Last year she hibernated from the end of October and I woke her on the 1st of March.

Here in Kent the weather has got cold over the last week and she seems to have started to wind down. I have re introduced her heat lamp and temperatures in her house are reaching high 20s. Just wondering if its too early to start winding down, if I allow her to wind down and reduce eating now then hibernation would need to start early to mid October. This would then mean waking her up in February which I think would be too cold. Or is a five month hibernation possible? I read this morning up to 20 weeks is possible with a healthy tortoise.
keef

Re: Herman Winding Down

Postby Sandy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 pm

keef wrote:My Herman tortoise is about 5/6 years old and last year she successfully hibernated for the first time, after having lived indoors and over wintered for the first years we had her. She now has an outdoor pen with a heated house and a small greenhouse. Last year she hibernated from the end of October and I woke her on the 1st of March.

Here in Kent the weather has got cold over the last week and she seems to have started to wind down. I have re introduced her heat lamp and temperatures in her house are reaching high 20s. Just wondering if its too early to start winding down, if I allow her to wind down and reduce eating now then hibernation would need to start early to mid October. This would then mean waking her up in February which I think would be too cold. Or is a five month hibernation possible? I read this morning up to 20 weeks is possible with a healthy tortoise.

I also live in Kent, and my tortoises are doing exactly the same. The weather has been quite bad for this time of the year. My tortoises always start to slow down gradually from August, but this year they are excellerating their windown. I just hope we have a Indian Summer in September, to extend them a little.
But they know better than us when to hibernate. The odd year of longer hibernation wont hurt, but not sure if its good if it happened year after year. In the 36yrs of keeping ibera, we never have two years the same:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A